Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Cisco COMPLETE reference... is this THE book?

Cisco COMPLETE reference... is this THE book?

Nic

Its more than 2 years old - what to u guys recommend?

--

/Nic

Bob Goddard

Nic wrote:

> Its more than 2 years old - what to u guys recommend?

There is only one complete reference and that is at
http://www.cisco.com/

Sam Wilson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Bob Goddard
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Nic wrote:
>
> > Its more than 2 years old - what to u guys recommend?

> There is only one complete reference and that is at
> http://www.cisco.com/

And evem that's not complete!

Sam

Nic

> > Its more than 2 years old - what to u guys recommend?
>
> There is only one complete reference and that is at
> http://www.cisco.com/

So u tell me not to buy cisco's own "The Complete Reference" ?

Sam Wilson

In article <40f40d9f$0$169$(E-Mail Removed)>, Nic
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > Its more than 2 years old - what to u guys recommend?

> > There is only one complete reference and that is at
> > http://www.cisco.com/

> So u tell me not to buy cisco's own "The Complete Reference" ?

You're talking about this one:
<http://www.ciscopress.com/title/1578701791>? Looks like it tells you
about how IOS versions are developed and how to choose one (you need
336 pages for that!?). Once you've chosen it won't tell you how to use
it - for that, if you're using paper, then you'll need another few feet
of shelf space. It's debatable whether that could be regarded a
complete reference either.

Sam

Nic

http://www.buchstoff.de/us/Cisco:_Th..._pID-007219280
1.html

That one - old, but is it good?

Francois Labreque

Program ended abnormally on 13/07/2004 13:05, Due to a catastrophic Nic error:
> http://www.buchstoff.de/us/Cisco:_Th..._pID-007219280
> 1.html
>
> That one - old, but is it good?

A 2 year old book is not *old*. Especially since the majority of networking
protocols have been there for 25 years, and the the IOS syntax has barely
changed in the last 15 years (there are more options, of course...)

The reviews here seem to indicate that it's a good entry/mid-level book.

(Sorry about the word-wrap)

The author's "errata" page is not too bad...
http://www.alfageek.com/TCRerror.htm

I've seen worse, but I haven't read it so I can't say how it really is.
--
Francois Labreque | The surest sign of the existence of extra-
flabreque | terrestrial intelligence is that they never

Hansang Bae

In article <40f41658$0$183$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> http://www.buchstoff.de/us/Cisco:_Th..._pID-007219280
> 1.html
>
> That one - old, but is it good?

Not sure. But here are my favorite books:

Advanced IP Routing by Slattery and Burton
Routing TCP/IP Vol I & II by Doyle
Cisco Routers for IP Routing Little Black Book: The Definitive Guide to
Deploying and Configuring Cisco Routers by Innokenty Rudenko.
Internet Routing Architecture by Halabi.
Enhanced IP Services by Lee.

--

hsb

Sam Wilson

In article <40f41658$0$183$(E-Mail Removed)>, Nic
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> http://www.buchstoff.de/us/Cisco:_Th..._pID-007219280
> 1.html
>
> That one - old, but is it good?

I don't know, but you referred to 'cisco's own "The Complete
Reference"'. That's not a Cisco Press book, so it's not Cisco's own.
it might be very good, but I'm still wary of something that claims to
be a "complete reference" to all Cisco stuff and is still only one
book!

Sam