Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Doubt regarding python Compilation

Doubt regarding python Compilation

praba kar

Dear all,

I have doubt regarding python Compilation.
I want to know whether Python is compiler language
or interpreted language. If Python is interpreter
language why compilation is there.

with regards

Andrew Dalke

praba kar wrote:
> I want to know whether Python is compiler language
> or interpreted language. If Python is interpreter
> language why compilation is there.

That distinction is implementation dependent and
not an aspect of the language. How would that knowledge
affect your decisions or thoughts on the topic?

The C version of Python byte-compiles the code and
caches the byte-code for the next time.

The .Net version can compiled down to assembly, at
least for some calls.

I've seen interactive versions of C that were
implemented with an interpreter. (The one I'm thinking
of was used for teaching.)

Andrew