Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > I would like to see what ports have been active on my Catalyst 6500

I would like to see what ports have been active on my Catalyst 6500

Shaun

Hello All,
I need to know the commands for this.

I want to export a list of ports that have been active/in-active for
the past three weeks to a csv or text file so that I may free up some
ports.

Any help would be great.

regards,
Shaun

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
Shaun <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:I need to know the commands for this.

:I want to export a list of ports that have been active/in-active for
:the past three weeks to a csv or text file so that I may free up some
orts.

There are no commands for that on the 6500, not under CatOS and not
under IOS. Indeed, there are no commands to tell you when the last
I/O was on a switch port.

If this is a one-time clearout, then we suggest that you clear the
port counters, and go back 3 weeks from now and see which ports still
have counters of zero.

You may also wish to check into using MRTG or other equivilent program
to SNMP monitor usage of your ports. You can then look at the historical
graphs to determine port usage.
--
Warning: potentially contains traces of nuts.

Sam Wilson

In article <ccu9qd$t6l$(E-Mail Removed)>, Walter Roberson
<(E-Mail Removed)-cnrc.gc.ca> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
> Shaun <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> :I need to know the commands for this.
>
> :I want to export a list of ports that have been active/in-active for
> :the past three weeks to a csv or text file so that I may free up some
> orts.
>
> There are no commands for that on the 6500, not under CatOS and not
> under IOS. Indeed, there are no commands to tell you when the last
> I/O was on a switch port.

This seems a shame since "show interface" has timers for last input and
last output. I've never quite understood what they're for since they
seem to lie to you - compare the "last input" etc. times and the other
statistics in this output:

FastEthernet5/17 is up, line protocol is up (connected)
Hardware is C6k 100Mb 802.3, address is aabb.ccdd.eeff (bia
aabb.ccdd.eeff)
MTU 1500 bytes, BW 100000 Kbit, DLY 100 usec,
reliability 255/255, txload 2/255, rxload 1/255
Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set
Full-duplex, 100Mb/s
input flow-control is off, output flow-control is unsupported
ARP type: ARPA, ARP Timeout 04:00:00
Last input never, output 00:00:29, output hang never
Input queue: 0/2000/21/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output
drops: 0
Queueing strategy: fifo
Output queue: 0/40 (size/max)
436027642 packets input, 82024694743 bytes, 0 no buffer
Received 54781738 broadcasts (52878189 multicast)
0 runts, 0 giants, 0 throttles
0 watchdog, 0 multicast, 0 pause input
2753055242 packets output, 416993692252 bytes, 0 underruns
0 babbles, 0 late collision, 0 deferred
0 lost carrier, 0 no carrier, 0 PAUSE output

This system has been up for nearly 4 weeks. Examples in the command
reference contain equally glaring discrepancies.

> [other useful suggestions deleted]

Sam