Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > C++ app. with python scripting IDE ?

C++ app. with python scripting IDE ?

Gonzalo

Hi everyone!
I want to develop a C++ application, which must be scriptable (I'm
considering to use Python or Lua). The end users should develop and run
their scripts in an IDE, and the scripting language must be extended
with specific functions related to my application. The IDE should have
debugging capabilities (step by step execution, breakpoints, watching
variables, etc. )

What would be the best option in order to develop this using Python as
the scripting language (scheme, configuration, IDE, free/commercial
tools, etc)?

What language is more suitable for this project, Python or Lua?

Thanks in advance.

Dennis Lee Bieber

On 25 Apr 2005 11:09:43 -0700, "Gonzalo" <(E-Mail Removed)> declaimed
the following in comp.lang.python:

> I want to develop a C++ application, which must be scriptable (I'm
> considering to use Python or Lua). The end users should develop and run
> their scripts in an IDE, and the scripting language must be extended
> with specific functions related to my application. The IDE should have
> debugging capabilities (step by step execution, breakpoints, watching
> variables, etc. )

Forgive the blasphemy, but I'm seeing flashbacks to the Amiga
and AREXX...

I don't know how well the Regina REXX interface to "ADDRESS ..."
works to suggest that it might be a candidate.

On the Amiga, applications could open an AREXX port, which could
be set as the "command interpreter" (shell) for any non-AREXX statement.
This allowed a script to use application specific commands directly --
for example, a text editor with character commands for navigation (think
VI)...

ADDRESS VI
30g
3dw
ADDRESS COMMAND

Since no AREXX statement begins with a digit, those lines are passed to
the command host (hypothetically, VI in this example). "ADDRESS COMMAND"
reverts the interpreter to the shell... Any non-AREXX statement would
then be the equivalent of Python's os.popen(statement)

Applications could also supply an AREXX compatible function library,
which, after loading via an AREXX statement, became "native AREXX"
functions for that manipulated the application.