Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > goto statement

goto statement

praba kar

Dear All,

In Python what is equivalent to goto statement

regards,
praba

http://mail.yahoo.com

Michael Hoffman

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...264a0daa007c46
--
Michael Hoffman

Peter Hansen

praba kar wrote:
> In Python what is equivalent to goto statement

The group has been remiss, starting mainly with Mage's
unfortunately dogmatic response.

What we meant to ask was this: why do you want it?

There are better, simpler, cleaner, more readable
ways to accomplish what you are trying to do, if you'll
only tell us what that is so we can show you.

-Peter

Matt Feinstein

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 10:23:58 +0100 (BST), praba kar
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Dear All,
>
> In Python what is equivalent to goto statement

I'd like to that implemented in an interpreted language. Requires some
time travel.

Matt Feinstein

--
There is no virtue in believing something that can be proved to be true.

Robert Kern

Matt Feinstein wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 10:23:58 +0100 (BST), praba kar
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Dear All,
>>
>> In Python what is equivalent to goto statement

> I'd like to that implemented in an interpreted language. Requires some
> time travel.

Yes, to 2004-04-01.

--
Robert Kern

-- Richard Harter

Maxim Kasimov

1. comment for debug

It can be used in the same way, as the comments for debugging are used, but it will be easier than to use """ or ''', or using features of text-editors,
when it is necessary to comment piece of code which already contains ''' or/and """ strings already, or there is another #-comments.
Using goto, you do not need to edit a code, which is unfamiliar to you.

2. obfuscators

goto can be used in the same way, as many of java-obfuscators do

Speaking in other words:
1) goto exempts from necessity to install new software (it is critical for remote working, for example, installing X11 may be impossible at all)
2) enables to make new, better software (better obfuscators)

--
Best regards,
Maxim Kasimov

Reinhold Birkenfeld

Maxim Kasimov wrote:

> 1) goto exempts from necessity to install new software
> (it is critical for remote working, for example, installing X11 may be
> impossible at all)

Attributing the need for a language feature to restrictions of your ambience
is hilarious.

Reinhold

Sergei Organov

Maxim Kasimov <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> 1. comment for debug
>
> It can be used in the same way, as the comments for debugging are
> used, but it will be easier than to use """ or ''', or using
> features of text-editors, when it is necessary to comment piece of
> code which already contains ''' or/and """ strings already, or
> there is another #-comments. Using goto, you do not need to edit a
> code, which is unfamiliar to you.

.... and then you end up with situation when another goto jumps directly
into the body of the code you've just "commented" with your goto. Happy
debugging!

BTW, don't you want "comefrom" statement to be added to the language
to make debugging even more fun?

--
Sergei.

Maxim Kasimov

Sergei Organov wrote:
> Maxim Kasimov <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>

>>1. comment for debug
>>
>> It can be used in the same way, as the comments for debugging are
>> used, but it will be easier than to use """ or ''', or using
>> features of text-editors, when it is necessary to comment piece of
>> code which already contains ''' or/and """ strings already, or
>> there is another #-comments. Using goto, you do not need to edit a
>> code, which is unfamiliar to you.

> .... and then you end up with situation when another goto jumps directly
> into the body of the code you've just "commented" with your goto. Happy
> debugging!
>
> BTW, don't you want "comefrom" statement to be added to the language
> to make debugging even more fun?

if you can't control what you do - it is you private problem, not mine. Is't it?

--
Best regards,
Maxim Kasimov

Sergei Organov

Maxim Kasimov <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> Sergei Organov wrote:
> > Maxim Kasimov <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> >

> >>1. comment for debug
> >>
> >> It can be used in the same way, as the comments for debugging are used,
> >>but it will be easier than to use """ or ''', or using features of
> >>text-editors, when it is necessary to comment piece of code which already
> >>contains ''' or/and """ strings already, or there is another #-comments.
> >>Using goto, you do not need to edit a code, which is unfamiliar to
> >>you.

> > .... and then you end up with situation when another goto jumps directly
> > into the body of the code you've just "commented" with your goto. Happy
> > debugging!

> if you can't control what you do - it is you private problem, not mine. Is't
> it?

Hopefully I do control what I do. However, wasn't it you who spoke about
"code, which is unfamiliar"? Obviously you advocate using goto to
comment out a code that has been written by somebody else. I don't see
any way for you or me to control what those "somebody" did with goto
provided that goto is there in the language, sorry.

Overall, using goto for commenting something out is not any better than
""" or ''', as the code to be commented out could contain labels and you
will need to find and comment out all the goto that jump to these labels
as well. Happy debugging!

--
Sergei.

Is there a goto statement (or something similar)? Mike42 Java 21 11-14-2005 12:22 PM
VHDL Goto statement ? Skybuck Flying VHDL 9 08-26-2005 01:46 PM
Re: VHDL Goto statement ? Skybuck Flying VHDL 0 08-08-2005 03:21 AM
the goto statement Martin ASP .Net 4 04-21-2005 10:31 PM
goto statement is recommened in systemc? youngsun park VHDL 2 11-18-2003 03:47 PM

Advertisments