From: James Carroll [(E-Mail Removed)]
Sent: 18 April 2005 18:10
To: Bill Davy; http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
Subject: Re: (Python newbie) Using XP-SP2/MSVC6: No Python24_d.lib, winzip
barfs on Python-2.4.1.tar, cannot download bzip2

Hi Bill,

Python 2.4 requires VC7.1 I just ran into this recently. Once I
installed VC7.1, I could easily compile the Python source to create a
debug lib.

Winzip should be able to read the python source tarball... There is
one trick though. Once you download it, it might get renamed to
python.tar.gz.tar and the trick is to rename the file's extension to
tar.gz or (my preference) .tgz.

If it really is a bzip2 file, then you'll need some sort of bunzip. I
use the cygnus version, but I don't remember having to do anything out
of the way for the python source.

-Jim