Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > ANN: Python 2.3.2 for PalmOS available

ANN: Python 2.3.2 for PalmOS available

lucio.torre@gmail.com

Hello,

Some months ago i did a port of the Python2.3.2 interpreter to PalmOS.
I didnt port any C module or created modules for PalmOS API's. But you
can run an interpreter and use stdin/stdout from a form.

There is also a tool to freeze scripts and use the interpreter as a
pseudo-shared library.

While talking with Facundo while in a PyAr meeting (python-argentina,
http://www.python.org/ar ) he told me that there is some interest in
this platform.

So, ive made an initial release that has no documentation on how to use
it or compile it (it requires codewarrior). If there is any interest on
this, please let me know so we can work on getting this as a real port.

As usual, this is just a proof of concept and is ugly in many ways.
(ie, in Palm, code segments must be less than 64K, so some files had to
be split and rearranged ).

If anyone want to check this out, heres the url:
http://pyar.decode.com.ar/Members/ltorre/PythonPalm

Regards,

Lucio.

Erik Max Francis

> If anyone want to check this out, heres the url:
> http://pyar.decode.com.ar/Members/ltorre/PythonPalm

Note the links are swapped; the one that says source package points to
the .prc file, and the one that says .prc file goes to the source package.

--
Erik Max Francis && (E-Mail Removed) && http://www.alcyone.com/max/
There never was a good war or a bad peace.

lucio.torre@gmail.com

Fixed. Thanks.

Wolfgang Keller

> If there is any interest on this, please let me know so we can work on
> getting this as a real port.

"Interest" is just a "slight" understatement...

Best regards

Wolfgang Keller

--
P.S.: My From-address is correct

Klaus Alexander Seistrup

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Some months ago i did a port of the Python2.3.2 interpreter to
> PalmOS.

Wow, this is just what I've been waiting for. Meanwhile I've tried
to make do with Rexx for PalmOS, hehehe...

However, MLPY doesn't seem to work on my Tungsten T3 (PalmOS 5.2.1).
The .prc installs without any problems, and I can start the Python
interpreter, but nothing happens if I ring in a Python expression and
press return -- the prompt just "hangs" and never returns.

Any ideas?

--
Klaus Alexander Seistrup
Magnetic Ink, Copenhagen, Denmark

Peter Hansen

Klaus Alexander Seistrup wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>Some months ago i did a port of the Python2.3.2 interpreter to
>>PalmOS.

> Wow, this is just what I've been waiting for. Meanwhile I've tried
> to make do with Rexx for PalmOS, hehehe...

I've been making do (rather successfully so far) with
Plua 2 (basically Lua 5.0), which I think feels a
little closer to Python than does Rexx (but which
doesn't come, out of the box, with quite as much
power).

The main benefit is that it *does* support the Palm
OS stuff, mainly making a UI form, an event loop,
and interfacing with databases.

It would be wonderful if Python was equally well
supported (yes, I know, somebody has to do the work)
but I also suspect there's no hope of it running on
my old 2MB Palm V the way Plua currently does!
Well, it would finally be a reason to upgrade though...

-Peter

bryce.moore@gmail.com

Lucio,

Just tried to install it on my sony clie PEG-S360. When I try to run
it I get:
Fatal Alert
pythonrun.c, Line: 1483,
Py_Initialize: can't init ints

Aside from my clie being significantly under-powered, I don't know what
else could be wrong.

What version of the Palm OS does this support?

Good luck with this. I could use a more up-to-date python than Pippy
(http://pippy.sourceforge.net/) offers.

I didn't know where else to post / email this.

bryce

Erik Max Francis

Klaus Alexander Seistrup wrote:

> However, MLPY doesn't seem to work on my Tungsten T3 (PalmOS 5.2.1).
> The .prc installs without any problems, and I can start the Python
> interpreter, but nothing happens if I ring in a Python expression and
> press return -- the prompt just "hangs" and never returns.

It worked on my Treo 650, although you quickly ran out of space in the
input text area (if you typed too many characters it would beep and
prevent you from typing anymore).

--
Erik Max Francis && (E-Mail Removed) && http://www.alcyone.com/max/
It comes from inside, and that's what I consider to be soul music.

Michael Hoffman

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Some months ago i did a port of the Python2.3.2 interpreter to PalmOS.
> I didnt port any C module or created modules for PalmOS API's.

Just port ctypes. Then we'll be good to go. <wink>

Seriously, this looks like a cool beginning.
--
Michael Hoffman

Lucio Torre

Make sure you write the expression in the lower text-area, and then
press the send button. This should do it.

I did the port something like a year ago (when i didnt knew metroweks
for Palm was discontinued) and when i tried it last week i couldnt
figure out how to use it. Then i realized that i must use the lower
text-area. Its was not designed for ease of use

Lucio.