Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Converting a perl module to a python module would it be worth it?

Converting a perl module to a python module would it be worth it?

Mothra

Hi All,

I am the current author of the Astro-Sunrise perl module
http://search.cpan.org/~rkhill/Astro....91/Sunrise.pm
and was wondering if it would be worth while to convert it to python.
First off, I have never programmed in python. I would like to use
this project to learn python. I was wondering if there was a
"How to program python for perl programmers" Kinda
like what is different between the two, pitfalls for perl programmers
and what not.
Another question is, if I do this where can I put the results?
As far as I know python has no "CPAN".

Thanks in advance.

Mothra

bruno modulix

Mothra wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am the current author of the Astro-Sunrise perl module
> http://search.cpan.org/~rkhill/Astro....91/Sunrise.pm
> and was wondering if it would be worth while to convert it to python.

Only you and your module's users may tell...

> First off, I have never programmed in python. I would like to use
> this project to learn python.

Well, this might be an answer to your first question !-)

> I was wondering if there was a
> "How to program python for perl programmers"
> Kinda
> like what is different between the two, pitfalls for perl programmers
> and what not.

http://www.hackdiary.com/slides/lpw2004/
http://starship.python.net/crew/aahz/OSCON2002/
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/pyt...er/241757.html
http://pleac.sourceforge.net/

Google is your friend, as usual...

Note that, apart from the Perl/Python diffs, Python has some (few)
gotchas, one of them being the difference between mutable and immutable
objects.

http://www.python.org/pypi/

> Thanks in advance.

HTH, and welcome on board.

PS: please don't consider my sig as representative of a good Python
coding style !-)

--
bruno desthuilliers
p in '(E-Mail Removed)'.split('@')])"

Ivan Van Laningham

Hi All--

bruno modulix wrote:

> Mothra wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I am the current author of the Astro-Sunrise perl module
> > http://search.cpan.org/~rkhill/Astro....91/Sunrise.pm
> > and was wondering if it would be worth while to convert it to python.

> Only you and your module's users may tell...

I'd use it.

> > First off, I have never programmed in python. I would like to use
> > this project to learn python.

> Well, this might be an answer to your first question !-)

If you can get your mind off the @#)*&^@#!!&-ing Perl syntax, you'll be
fine

> > Another question is, if I do this where can I put the results?
> > As far as I know python has no "CPAN".

> http://www.python.org/pypi/

They're working on the Python version of CPAN, but it's taking a long
time. I think they started in 1998 or so? Haven't kept up, so I have
no idea what's taking so long. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than
me will come along and set us straight.

Metta,
Ivan
Ivan Van Laningham
God N Locomotive Works
http://www.andi-holmes.com/
http://www.foretec.com/python/worksh...oceedings.html
Army Signal Corps: Cu Chi, Class of '70
Author: Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours

Mothra

"Ivan Van Laningham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi All--
>
> bruno modulix wrote:
> >
> > Mothra wrote:
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > I am the current author of the Astro-Sunrise perl module
> > > http://search.cpan.org/~rkhill/Astro....91/Sunrise.pm
> > > and was wondering if it would be worth while to convert it to python.

> > Only you and your module's users may tell...
> >

> I'd use it.

I guess I spoke to soon
http://kortis.to/radix/python/code/Sun.py

This was from the same source I used to create ny module.

> > > First off, I have never programmed in python. I would like to use
> > > this project to learn python.

> > Well, this might be an answer to your first question !-)
> >

> If you can get your mind off the @#)*&^@#!!&-ing Perl syntax, you'll be
> fine
>
> > > Another question is, if I do this where can I put the results?
> > > As far as I know python has no "CPAN".

> > http://www.python.org/pypi/
> >

> They're working on the Python version of CPAN, but it's taking a long
> time. I think they started in 1998 or so? Haven't kept up, so I have
> no idea what's taking so long. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than
> me will come along and set us straight.

I checked out the above link (thanks!!) I need to look deeper
at the docs for creating a "module"

Thanks all for the responses!!

Mothra

Bruno Desthuilliers

Mothra a écrit :
(snip)

> I checked out the above link (thanks!!) I need to look deeper
> at the docs for creating a "module"

Well, start with wrting the code - you'll take care of
how-to-distribute-it later.

> Thanks all for the responses!!

You're welcome.

Dennis Lee Bieber

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 07:25:26 -0700, "Mothra" <(E-Mail Removed)>

> this project to learn python. I was wondering if there was a
> "How to program python for perl programmers" Kinda
> like what is different between the two, pitfalls for perl programmers
> and what not.

Out of print, but maybe available used...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books