Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Dr. Dobb's Python-URL! - weekly Python news and links (Apr 11)

Dr. Dobb's Python-URL! - weekly Python news and links (Apr 11)

Simon Brunning

QOTW: "I think my code is clearer, but I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm
violently opposed to your code. I save violent opposition for really
important matters like which text editor you use." - Roy Smith

"You need to recursively subdivide the cake until you have a piece small
enough to fit in your input buffer. Then the atomicity of the cake-ingestion
operation will become apparent." - Scott David Daniels

Various Python Meetup groups are meeting this week:
http://python.meetup.com/

wxPython 2.5.5.1 is out...
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...330473f542e5a6
... for those that don't hate it.
http://fraca7.free.fr/blog/index.php...ord-about-guis

A couple of nice cookbook recipes - check your docstring coverage, and let Python tell you what you meant to type.

Exceptions are't just for errors in Python.
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...3e0ab436c91d48

The martellibot's working for Google!
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...256652f5ffcc50

Backup your del.icio.usly linked pages to Gmail.
http://llimllib.f2o.org/blog/serve/entry/delbackup

How to tell whether a wave function corresponds to bosons or fermions.
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...8c7eec409154a4
No, I'm none the wiser, either. Still, some interesting algorithms in there.

Rolling your own __deepcopy__.
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...4ac776c4ffe00f

IronPython is getting good coverage these days.
http://informationweek.com/story/sho...leID=160403713

Everything Python-related you want is probably one or two clicks away in
these pages:

Python.org's Python Language Website is the traditional
center of Pythonia
http://www.python.org
Notice especially the master FAQ
http://www.python.org/doc/FAQ.html

PythonWare complements the digest you're reading with the
marvelous daily python url
http://www.pythonware.com/daily
Mygale is a news-gathering webcrawler that specializes in (new)
World-Wide Web articles related to Python.
http://www.awaretek.com/nowak/mygale.html
While cosmetically similar, Mygale and the Daily Python-URL
are utterly different in their technologies and generally in
their results.

For far, FAR more Python reading than any one mind should
absorb, much of it quite interesting, several pages index
much of the universe of Pybloggers.
http://lowlife.jp/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/P...grammersWeblog
http://www.planetpython.org/
http://mechanicalcat.net/pyblagg.html

comp.lang.python.announce announces new Python software. Be
sure to scan this newsgroup weekly.
http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=d...ython.announce

Brett Cannon continues the marvelous tradition established by
Andrew Kuchling and Michael Hudson of intelligently summarizing
action on the python-dev mailing list once every other week.
http://www.python.org/dev/summary/

The Python Package Index catalogues packages.
http://www.python.org/pypi/

The somewhat older Vaults of Parnassus ambitiously collects references
to all sorts of Python resources.
http://www.vex.net/~x/parnassus/

Much of Python's real work takes place on Special-Interest Group
mailing lists
http://www.python.org/sigs/

The Python Business Forum "further[s] the interests of companies
that base their business on ... Python."
http://www.python-in-business.org

Python Success Stories--from air-traffic control to on-line
match-making--can inspire you or decision-makers to whom you're
subject with a vision of what the language makes practical.
http://www.pythonology.com/success

The Python Software Foundation (PSF) has replaced the Python
Consortium as an independent nexus of activity. It has official
responsibility for Python's development and maintenance.
http://www.python.org/psf/
Among the ways you can support PSF is with a donation.
http://www.python.org/psf/donate.html

Kurt B. Kaiser publishes a weekly report on faults and patches.
http://www.google.com/groups?as_usub...python%20patch

Cetus collects Python hyperlinks.
http://www.cetus-links.org/oo_python.html

Python FAQTS
http://python.faqts.com/

The Cookbook is a collaborative effort to capture useful and
interesting recipes.
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python

Among several Python-oriented RSS/RDF feeds available are
http://www.python.org/channews.rdf
http://bootleg-rss.g-blog.net/pythonware_com_daily.pcgi
http://python.de/backend.php
For more, see
http://www.syndic8.com/feedlist.php?...ShowStatus=all
The old Python "To-Do List" now lives principally in a
SourceForge reincarnation.
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?atid...70&func=browse
http://python.sourceforge.net/peps/pep-0042.html

The online Python Journal is posted at pythonjournal.cognizor.com.
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) and (E-Mail Removed)
welcome submission of material that helps people's understanding
of Python use, and offer Web presentation of your work.

del.icio.us presents an intriguing approach to reference commentary.
It already aggregates quite a bit of Python intelligence.
http://del.icio.us/tag/python

*Py: the Journal of the Python Language*
http://www.pyzine.com

Archive probing tricks of the trade:
http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=d...python&num=100
http://groups.google.com/groups?meta....lang.python.*

Previous - (U)se the (R)esource, (L)uke! - messages are listed here:
http://groups-beta.google.com/groups...t=0&scoring=d&
http://purl.org/thecliff/python/url.html (dormant)
or
http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_q=+Python-URL!&as_ugroup=comp.lang.python

Suggestions/corrections for next week's posting are always welcome.
E-mail to <(E-Mail Removed)> should get through.

To receive a new issue of this posting in e-mail each Monday morning
(approximately), ask <(E-Mail Removed)> to subscribe. Mention
"Python-URL!".

-- The Python-URL! Team--

Dr. Dobb's Journal (http://www.ddj.com) is pleased to participate in and
sponsor the "Python-URL!" project.

Greg Ewing

Simon Brunning wrote:

> "You need to recursively subdivide the cake until you have a piece small
> enough to fit in your input buffer. Then the atomicity of the cake-ingestion
> operation will become apparent." - Scott David Daniels

Actually it was me who wrote that, not Scott.

(Darn. I finally say something that gets into Quote of the
Week, and it's attributed to someone else!

--
Greg Ewing, Computer Science Dept,
University of Canterbury,

Simon Brunning

On 4/14/05, Greg Ewing <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Actually it was me who wrote that, not Scott.
>
> (Darn. I finally say something that gets into Quote of the
> Week, and it's attributed to someone else!

Ooops. I'm really very sorry about that.

Try and think of something else witty to say over the next day or two
- I'm sure I can squeeze you into next week's.

--
Cheers,
Simon B,

Chris Cioffi

+1 on _that_ being a QOTW!

On 4/14/05, Simon Brunning <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
[snip]

> Try and think of something else witty to say over the next day or two
> - I'm sure I can squeeze you into next week's.

--
"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that
here and there." -- Richard Feynman

Peter Hansen

Greg Ewing wrote:
> (Darn. I finally say something that gets into Quote of the
> Week, and it's attributed to someone else!

+1 on this for meta-QOTW, solving both problems...

Simon Brunning

On 4/14/05, Peter Hansen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Greg Ewing wrote:
> > (Darn. I finally say something that gets into Quote of the
> > Week, and it's attributed to someone else!

> +1 on this for meta-QOTW, solving both problems...

Yeah, but to whom do I attribute it?

--
Cheers,
Simon B,

Roel Schroeven

Simon Brunning wrote:

Not that it really matters, but does anybody know why the weekly Python
news always arrives twice? Does it only happen to me, or does it happen
to others too?

It's not that it irritates me or anything, I'm just being curious.

Roel Schroeven

Dave Brueck

Roel Schroeven wrote:
> Simon Brunning wrote:

> Not that it really matters, but does anybody know why the weekly Python
> news always arrives twice? Does it only happen to me, or does it happen
> to others too?
>
> It's not that it irritates me or anything, I'm just being curious.

I just thought it was for emphasis.

-Dave

John Hazen

* Dave Brueck <(E-Mail Removed)> [2005-04-14 07:49]:
[Roel Schroeven]
> >Not that it really matters, but does anybody know why the weekly Python
> >news always arrives twice? Does it only happen to me, or does it happen
> >to others too?
> >
> >It's not that it irritates me or anything, I'm just being curious.

[Dave Brueck]
> I just thought it was for emphasis.

My theory has always been that it's posted once to python-list, and once
to usenet, and the bridge dutifully sends each message to the other
domain.

(And, yes. (Obviously) I get two copies, as well. I've meen meaning to
ask the same question.)

-John

Paul Boddie

Simon Brunning <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> On 4/14/05, Peter Hansen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Greg Ewing wrote:
> > > (Darn. I finally say something that gets into Quote of the
> > > Week, and it's attributed to someone else!

> > +1 on this for meta-QOTW, solving both problems...

> Yeah, but to whom do I attribute it?

To Greg, of course.

Paul