Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: Calling a Perl Module from Python ( future direction of Python)

Re: Calling a Perl Module from Python ( future direction of Python)

gf gf

Really! That's a pity... Instead of trying to
recreate a repository the size of CPAN, a Python
interface to Perl modules is really called for.

Instead of fretting over decorator syntax and
lispiness, might I suggest that development efforts be
directed to this? Developers, are you listening?
Guido?

PS And I don't mean waiting for Perl 6 to condense...

--- Swaroop C H <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Apr 6, 2005 8:23 AM, gf gf
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > I've recently made the switch. Wow, is Python

> great!
> > One thing which I haven't been able to do is

> replace
> > Perl's great lib collection (HTML:arser, for
> > instance, can do a lot that Soup just can't).

> You've just discovered the only limitation of Python
> (in my view) - it
> doesn't have a module repository to rival CPAN.
>
> AFAIK, there isn't any reliable way to call Perl
> modules from Python.
>

> --
> Swaroop C H
> Blog: http://www.swaroopch.info
> Book: http://www.byteofpython.info

__________________________________
Yahoo! Messenger

Jeff Reavis

An interface to Perl already exists:

http://www.python.org/moin/PyPerl

-jjr

D H

gf gf wrote:
> Really! That's a pity... Instead of trying to
> recreate a repository the size of CPAN, a Python
> interface to Perl modules is really called for.

CPAN modules are designed for Perl though. There's pyperl like they
mentioned but it's like speaking two languages at once.
It's not like the Java standard library or the .NET/Mono standard
library that can be used easily with different languages. For Python,
see PyPI and the Vaults of Parnassus: http://www.python.org/pypi
http://www.vex.net/parnassus/

> Instead of fretting over decorator syntax and
> lispiness, might I suggest that development efforts be
> directed to this? Developers, are you listening?
> Guido?

They are actually focusing more on the python standard library lately.

Greg Ewing

gf gf wrote:
> Really! That's a pity... Instead of trying to
> recreate a repository the size of CPAN, a Python
> interface to Perl modules is really called for.

When Parrot comes on line, this presumably will
become trivial...

--
Greg Ewing, Computer Science Dept,
University of Canterbury,

Greg Ewing

By the way, is the Parrot project still alive,
or has it been given up on?

Not that I actually want it, but the idea is
kind of morbidly fascinating.

--
Greg Ewing, Computer Science Dept,
University of Canterbury,
Christchurch, New Zealand
http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/~greg

Leopold Toetsch

Greg Ewing <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> By the way, is the Parrot project still alive,

Of course.

leo
--
Apr 07 17:10:41 lux siggen[5353]: reading next random sig
Apr 07 17:10:41 lux siggen[5353]: open: /usr/bin/fortun: