Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: Name of IDLE on Linux

Re: Name of IDLE on Linux

Jim Benson

On Sat, 2 Apr 2005, Edward Diener wrote:

> What is the name of the IDLE program on Linux and where is it installed
> in a normal Linux distribution ? I have installed all the Python 2.3.5
> RPMs on my Fedora 3 system but I have no idea where they are installed
> or what IDLE is called. I lloked in the Python web pages to try to find
> a list of the files in the various installations, but was unable to find
> the information.

Try idle (all lower case).
On my RH-9 system it is in /usr/local/bin

HTH.

Jim

Edward Diener

Jim Benson wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Apr 2005, Edward Diener wrote:
>

>>What is the name of the IDLE program on Linux and where is it installed
>>in a normal Linux distribution ? I have installed all the Python 2.3.5
>>RPMs on my Fedora 3 system but I have no idea where they are installed
>>or what IDLE is called. I lloked in the Python web pages to try to find
>>a list of the files in the various installations, but was unable to find
>>the information.
>>

> Try idle (all lower case).
> On my RH-9 system it is in /usr/local/bin

Thanks. The system came with Python and the development libraries but
not with the latest installation and tools. Once I was able to install
all the latest Python RPM for Fedora 3, 'idle' showed up. Now all I have
to do is find everything else, including the latest documentation files.
It is a pity the Python Linux binary installations do not create folders
on the desktop or in the Gnome menu system with links to the Python to
the documentation and a readme telling me what executables were installed.

Thomas Rast

Edward Diener <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> It is a pity the Python Linux binary installations do not
> create folders on the desktop or in the Gnome menu system with links
> to the Python to the documentation and a readme telling me what
> executables were installed.

Imagine they did, and the other 1392 packages (on my system) too

Documentation usually resides in /usr/share/doc/<package>,
/usr/share/doc/packages/<package> or similiar. You're on an RPM-based
system, so

$ rpm -ql <package>

lists all files belonging to that package. You should have little
trouble spotting the documentation files there.

- Thomas

--
If you want to reply by mail, substitute my first and last name for
'foo' and 'bar', respectively, and remove '.invalid'.

Edward Diener

Thomas Rast wrote:
> Edward Diener <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> It is a pity the Python Linux binary installations do not
>> create folders on the desktop or in the Gnome menu system with links
>> to the Python to the documentation and a readme telling me what
>> executables were installed.

> Imagine they did, and the other 1392 packages (on my system) too

I can understand that <g>. But I would rather have links somewhere than not
know what it was a particular package does and how to use it. As a relative
Linux newbie, I have found it disconcerting to have things installed on my
system when I first booted the system or when I install new packages or
upgrade existing ones, and not know what these packages are used for. One
can always delete links, and they are cheap, so I would rather have too much
to begin with than too little.

> Documentation usually resides in /usr/share/doc/<package>,
> /usr/share/doc/packages/<package> or similiar. You're on an RPM-based
> system, so
>
> $ rpm -ql <package>
>
> lists all files belonging to that package. You should have little
> trouble spotting the documentation files there.

Thanks. That does help.

Joal Heagney

Edward Diener wrote:
> Thomas Rast wrote:
>
>>Edward Diener <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>

>>>It is a pity the Python Linux binary installations do not
>>>create folders on the desktop or in the Gnome menu system with links
>>>to the Python to the documentation and a readme telling me what
>>>executables were installed.

>>Imagine they did, and the other 1392 packages (on my system) too

> I can understand that <g>. But I would rather have links somewhere than not
> know what it was a particular package does and how to use it. As a relative
> Linux newbie, I have found it disconcerting to have things installed on my
> system when I first booted the system or when I install new packages or
> upgrade existing ones, and not know what these packages are used for. One
> can always delete links, and they are cheap, so I would rather have too much
> to begin with than too little.
>

>>Documentation usually resides in /usr/share/doc/<package>,
>>/usr/share/doc/packages/<package> or similiar. You're on an RPM-based
>>system, so
>>
>>$ rpm -ql <package>
>>
>>lists all files belonging to that package. You should have little
>>trouble spotting the documentation files there.

> Thanks. That does help.

As a "relative linux newbie" (Aren't we all? I've been using linux for 7
years now, and the only thing that has happened is that my definition of
"newbie" has stretched.), you might find the following useful.

If you're using KDE, you can set a bookmark in konqueror to the
documentation and it'll bring it up in the bookmark toolbar. Only hassle
is when you update python and the docs, you have to edit the bookmark.

Another approach is to type in /usr/share/doc/py into the konqueror URL
and it'll pop up a list of folders containing python documentation.

Joal

PS: DON'T add a general bookmark to /usr/share/doc
I did that when I was beginning, and every time I went document hunting,
I'd have to wait a good minute and a half for konqueror to display all
the folders in this directory.

Peter Otten

Joal Heagney wrote:

> If you're using KDE, you can set a bookmark in konqueror to the
> documentation and it'll bring it up in the bookmark toolbar. Only hassle
> is when you update python and the docs, you have to edit the bookmark.

Or you can bookmark a symlink to the documentation and bookmark that.
Another goodie are Konqueror's web shortcuts. I added one with the
URI file:/path_to_python_docs/lib/module-\{@}.html
and the shortcut pym, and now typing e. g.

pym os.path

in the address bar immediately brings up that module's documentation.

Peter

stewart.midwinter@gmail.com

Peter Otten wrote:
and now typing e. g.
> pym os.path
> in the address bar immediately brings up that module's documentation.
>
> Peter

Nice one! Thanks.