Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > fastest postgresql module

fastest postgresql module

Timothy Smith

has anyone got some hard numbers on which pg access module is the
fastest, i currently use pypgsql, but i can't help but feel it's a
little slow.
3 seconds to connect, send one query, get th return data.
i'm on a adsl 1.5mbit/256kbit link, the server is on a 10/10mbit, and i
have a ping of 245ms average.
maybe pypgsql does too much backand forth, i don't know.

Leif B. Kristensen

Timothy Smith skrev:

> has anyone got some hard numbers on which pg access module is the
> fastest, i currently use pypgsql, but i can't help but feel it's a
> little slow.
> 3 seconds to connect, send one query, get th return data.
> i'm on a adsl 1.5mbit/256kbit link, the server is on a 10/10mbit, and
> i have a ping of 245ms average.
> maybe pypgsql does too much backand forth, i don't know.

You might want to try psycopg, it's claimed to be optimized for speed.
--
Leif Biberg Kristensen
just another global village idiot

Timothy Smith

Leif B. Kristensen wrote:

>Timothy Smith skrev:
>

>>has anyone got some hard numbers on which pg access module is the
>>fastest, i currently use pypgsql, but i can't help but feel it's a
>>little slow.
>>3 seconds to connect, send one query, get th return data.
>>i'm on a adsl 1.5mbit/256kbit link, the server is on a 10/10mbit, and
>>i have a ping of 245ms average.
>>maybe pypgsql does too much backand forth, i don't know.
>>

>You might want to try psycopg, it's claimed to be optimized for speed.

my only issue with psycopg, is last time i looked they had no win32 port?

Leif B. Kristensen

Timothy Smith skrev:

> my only issue with psycopg, is last time i looked they had no win32
> port?

Uh, in that case, maybe you should consider changing platform? 8^)
--

Leif B. Kristensen wrote:

>Timothy Smith skrev:
>

>>my only issue with psycopg, is last time i looked they had no win32
>>port?
>>

>Uh, in that case, maybe you should consider changing platform? 8^)

my app has to be multiplatform, but i would gladly rip windows from the
drives of every computer with my bare hands.

Gerhard Haering

On Fri, Mar 18, 2005 at 09:31:45AM +1000, Timothy Smith wrote:
> Leif B. Kristensen wrote:
>
> >Timothy Smith skrev:
> >>has anyone got some hard numbers on which pg access module is the
> >>fastest, i currently use pypgsql, but i can't help but feel it's a
> >>little slow.
> >>3 seconds to connect, send one query, get th return data.
> >>i'm on a adsl 1.5mbit/256kbit link, the server is on a 10/10mbit, and
> >>i have a ping of 245ms average.
> >>maybe pypgsql does too much backand forth, i don't know.
> >>

> >You might want to try psycopg, it's claimed to be optimized for speed.
> >

> my only issue with psycopg, is last time i looked they had no win32 port?

It has one now.

But (of course depending on your query), your issue is not dependant on
the particular PostgreSQL, I think.

You'll probably also have it with executing a plain vanilla script via
psql.

-- Gerhard

casevh@comcast.net

With the round-trip time of 245ms, three seconds only allows for
approximately 12 packet exchanges (roughly 24 total packets). I think
latency is your problem.

casevh

Josef Meile

> my only issue with psycopg, is last time i looked they had no win32 port?
Not completely true. Since long time ago there is a website with
unofficial psycopg binaries:

http://www.stickpeople.com/projects/python/psycopg/

Regards,
Josef

Frank Miles

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Timothy Smith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Leif B. Kristensen wrote:
>
>>Timothy Smith skrev:
>>

>>>has anyone got some hard numbers on which pg access module is the
>>>fastest, i currently use pypgsql, but i can't help but feel it's a
>>>little slow.
>>>3 seconds to connect, send one query, get th return data.
>>>i'm on a adsl 1.5mbit/256kbit link, the server is on a 10/10mbit, and
>>>i have a ping of 245ms average.
>>>maybe pypgsql does too much backand forth, i don't know.
>>>

>>You might want to try psycopg, it's claimed to be optimized for speed.
>>

>my only issue with psycopg, is last time i looked they had no win32 port?

psycopg is available for win32 (though the development version might not be)
Try:
http://www.stickpeople.com/projects/python/psycopg/

HTH...
-frank

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gerhard_H=E4ring?=

Timothy Smith wrote:
> [...] is there anyway i can check
> is it true psycopg is much faster or is it all hyperboll

The overhead of psycopg per cursor row is a lot less. So it makes a
difference if you fetch *a lot* of data.

Anyway, if you don't have a performance problem, you don't need to care

Yes there is a way to try it out, install it and compare

As I said, there is a win32 version of psycopg if that's the only
platform you have access to:

Google - first hit:

http://www.google.de/search?hl=de&q=...le-Suche&meta=

=>