Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Gigabit switch suggestions

Gigabit switch suggestions

Liz Eriksen

I am looking for a switch or switches to service an office of around 80
users. About 10 of these plus 6 servers will be on gigabit over copper. I
am looking for a suggested configuration and have a few questions.

I thought about using a 16 - 24 port 10/100/1000 speed switch and uplinking
several 10/100 switches w/gigabit uplinks. Does this seem reasonable? It
seems that Cisco does not offer workgroup gigabit switches with that sort
of port density. Is this due to the limits of the backplane?

Suggestions welcome. Would prefer to use Cisco but open to other vendors as
well.

Thank you.

Chris Thomas

In article <Xns9517C914EF78Celizabetheriksen2002@64.164.98.51 >,
> I am looking for a switch or switches to service an office of around 80
> users. About 10 of these plus 6 servers will be on gigabit over copper. I
> am looking for a suggested configuration and have a few questions.
>
> I thought about using a 16 - 24 port 10/100/1000 speed switch and uplinking
> several 10/100 switches w/gigabit uplinks. Does this seem reasonable? It
> seems that Cisco does not offer workgroup gigabit switches with that sort
> of port density. Is this due to the limits of the backplane?
>
> Suggestions welcome. Would prefer to use Cisco but open to other vendors as
> well.

You could look into a 3750 stack - say a 24p 10/100/100 stacked with
a couple of 48p 10/100.

/Chris

Erik Tamminga

Hi,

Cisco does offer the hardware you're looking for in the following product
ranges:

Catalyst 2970 series for 24x 10/100/1000 copper ethernet (and fiber
options).
Catalyst 3750 series for 12-24-48x 10/100/1000 copper ethernet (and fiber
options).
Catalyst 2950 series for 12-48x 10/100 (various 1000 uplinks).

If all you need is a couple gigabit and the rest 10/100, I would suggest you
have a look at the 2950 series for the 10/100 and one 2970 to get the
10/100/1000 ports. Change the 2970 to a 3750 if you need ip-routing.

www.cisco.com/go/catalyst3750
www.cisco.com/go/catalyst2970
www.cisco.com/go/catalyst2950

Erik

"Liz Eriksen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns9517C914EF78Celizabetheriksen2002@64.164.9 8.51...
> I am looking for a switch or switches to service an office of around 80
> users. About 10 of these plus 6 servers will be on gigabit over copper. I
> am looking for a suggested configuration and have a few questions.
>
> I thought about using a 16 - 24 port 10/100/1000 speed switch and

uplinking
> several 10/100 switches w/gigabit uplinks. Does this seem reasonable? It
> seems that Cisco does not offer workgroup gigabit switches with that sort
> of port density. Is this due to the limits of the backplane?
>
> Suggestions welcome. Would prefer to use Cisco but open to other vendors

as
> well.
>
> Thank you.

Walter Roberson

In article <cbv252$781$(E-Mail Removed)1.nb.home.nl>,
Erik Tamminga <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:Cisco does offer the hardware you're looking for in the following product
:ranges:

:Catalyst 2970 series for 24x 10/100/1000 copper ethernet (and fiber
ptions).
:Catalyst 3750 series for 12-24-48x 10/100/1000 copper ethernet (and fiber
ptions).
:Catalyst 2950 series for 12-48x 10/100 (various 1000 uplinks).

That's misleading. On the 3750, if you want all the ports to be gig
capable (whether via copper or fibre), your model restrictions are:

Catalyst 3750G-24T : 24 Ethernet 10/100/1000 ports
Catalyst 3750G-24TS : 24 Ethernet 10/100/1000 ports and 4 SFP uplinks
Catalyst 3750G-12S : 12 SFP
Catalyst 3750G-16TD : 16 Ethernet 10/100/1000 ports and 1 10Gigabit Ethernet
XENPAK

Notice there is no 48 port 3750 with *any* copper gigabit (other than
via SFP uplinks), and notice that the most you can get with fibre is 12
ports.
--
Live it up, rip it up, why so lazy?
Give it out, dish it out, let's go crazy, yeah!

peter

Erik
Two weeks ago there was a discussion about IAS with PEAP on a 1200 series AP
A certain JT got a howto article to fix this.
I cannot reach this JT. Did you get the information ?

Thanks in Advance

Peter

Erik Tamminga

Hi Peter,

No, I didn't receive information. He said he sent me the message twice, but
I still didn't receive anything. I'm still looking forward to have a
complete howto-document on this issue because there seem to be some hidden
"features". I think I'll be able to set it up using already posted
information and information readily available on CCO, but currently don't
have the time and resources to test it.

Erik

news:ccefh6$bil$(E-Mail Removed)...