Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Debugging Python Scripts inside other processes

Debugging Python Scripts inside other processes

A. Klingenstein

I embedded Python in a Windows C++ program. Now I want to debug my
embedded scripts which of course won't run in any IDE process.
Commercial IDEs like WingIDE can attach to external processes by
importing a module in the scripts. Is there a debugger capable of this
which is Free or Open Source?

What I need are the following things:
- runs in Windows
- single stepping
- variable watches
- breakpoints

Just the typical debugger stuff.

Alex

Robin Becker

A. Klingenstein wrote:
> I embedded Python in a Windows C++ program. Now I want to debug my
> embedded scripts which of course won't run in any IDE process.
> Commercial IDEs like WingIDE can attach to external processes by
> importing a module in the scripts. Is there a debugger capable of this
> which is Free or Open Source?
>
> What I need are the following things:
> - runs in Windows
> - single stepping
> - variable watches
> - breakpoints
>
> Just the typical debugger stuff.
>
> Alex

I used hapdebugger for such a purpose some time ago, but I believe it
needs a special startup python.exe.
--
Robin Becker

A. Klingenstein

Robin Becker wrote:
> A. Klingenstein wrote:
>
>> I embedded Python in a Windows C++ program. Now I want to debug my
>> embedded scripts which of course won't run in any IDE process.
>> Commercial IDEs like WingIDE can attach to external processes by
>> importing a module in the scripts. Is there a debugger capable of this
>> which is Free or Open Source?
>>
>> What I need are the following things:
>> - runs in Windows
>> - single stepping
>> - variable watches
>> - breakpoints
>>
>> Just the typical debugger stuff.
>>
>> Alex

> I used hapdebugger for such a purpose some time ago, but I believe it
> needs a special startup python.exe.

I looked at it, but couldn't get it to work. A special python.exe won't
work for me since I only link against python24.dll, nothing else

Alex

Peter Maas

A. Klingenstein schrieb:
> I embedded Python in a Windows C++ program. Now I want to debug my
> embedded scripts which of course won't run in any IDE process.
> Commercial IDEs like WingIDE can attach to external processes by
> importing a module in the scripts. Is there a debugger capable of this
> which is Free or Open Source?
>
> What I need are the following things:
> - runs in Windows
> - single stepping
> - variable watches
> - breakpoints

Does your Windows C++ program have a working stdin/stdout/stderr,
i.e. kind of a console? Then you could insert

import pdb
pdb.set_trace()

at a position in your embedded scripts where you want debugging to
start. If your C++ program doesn't have a console then perhaps you
can provide one with a Win32 call? Just guessing here.

Peter Maas, M+R Infosysteme, D-52070 Aachen, Tel +49-241-93878-0