Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > HELP: Python & Tkinter ?

HELP: Python & Tkinter ?

PGMoscatt

Hi all,

Have just installed Fedora 3 and wish also want to give programming with
Python a go. I wish to develop GUI interfaces and believe that 'Tkinter'
is the way to go.

After installing Python frpm the distro CD I can't use the 'from Tkinter
import *' command. When I try, I get the error message below:

ImportError: No module named Tkinter

So from that I assume I need to install Tkinter ?
Should I also find this on the CD ? Is it known as another name as looking
on the CD I don't seem to find anything relating to Tkinter.

Thanks in advance.

Pete

Christos TZOTZIOY Georgiou

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 18:19:16 +1000, rumours say that PGMoscatt
<(E-Mail Removed)> might have written:

>Hi all,
>
>Have just installed Fedora 3 and wish also want to give programming with
>Python a go. I wish to develop GUI interfaces and believe that 'Tkinter'
>is the way to go.

[snip: import Tkinter fails, probably due to missing package]

Perhaps this page helps:

http://www.python.org/2.4/rpms.html

Otherwise this would show up anything in the cd:

$ find /mnt/cdrom -name \*kinter\* -print

(/mnt/cdrom or whatever the name of the cd mounting directory in Fedora 3 is)
--
TZOTZIOY, I speak England very best.
"Be strict when sending and tolerant when receiving." (from RFC195

Fredrik Lundh

"PGMoscatt" wrote:

> Have just installed Fedora 3 and wish also want to give programming with
> Python a go. I wish to develop GUI interfaces and believe that 'Tkinter'
> is the way to go.
>
> After installing Python frpm the distro CD I can't use the 'from Tkinter
> import *' command. When I try, I get the error message below:
>
> ImportError: No module named Tkinter
>
> So from that I assume I need to install Tkinter ?
> Should I also find this on the CD ? Is it known as another name as looking
> on the CD I don't seem to find anything relating to Tkinter.

according to

http://tkinter.unpythonic.net/wiki/H...tall_20Tkinter

this should do the trick:

yum install tkinter

</F>

PGMoscatt

Fredrik Lundh wrote:

> "PGMoscatt" wrote:
>
>> Have just installed Fedora 3 and wish also want to give programming with
>> Python a go. I wish to develop GUI interfaces and believe that 'Tkinter'
>> is the way to go.
>>
>> After installing Python frpm the distro CD I can't use the 'from Tkinter
>> import *' command. When I try, I get the error message below:
>>
>> ImportError: No module named Tkinter
>>
>> So from that I assume I need to install Tkinter ?
>> Should I also find this on the CD ? Is it known as another name as
>> looking on the CD I don't seem to find anything relating to Tkinter.

> according to
>
> http://tkinter.unpythonic.net/wiki/H...tall_20Tkinter
>
> this should do the trick:
>
> yum install tkinter
>
> </F>

Thanks Fredrik, yep, that did the trick. Never seen this YUM thing but it's
pretty trick.

Pete

Fredrik Lundh

Pete wrote:

> Never seen this YUM thing but it's pretty trick.

more here:

http://linux.duke.edu/projects/yum/

</F>