Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Wishful thinking : unix to windows script?

Wishful thinking : unix to windows script?

John Leslie

Or does anyone have a python script which takes a standard unix
command as an argument and runs the pyton/windows equivalent on
windows?

Steve Holden

John Leslie wrote:
> Or does anyone have a python script which takes a standard unix
> command as an argument and runs the pyton/windows equivalent on
> windows?

This would seem to be a request of overkill of the worst kind, given the
existing availability of tools like Cygwin (www.cygwin.com) and, more
recently, CoLinux (www.colinux.org).

Why do it in Python when it's better done already?

regards
Steve
Come to PyCon DC 2005 http://www.pycon.org/
Steve Holden http://www.holdenweb.com/

Patrick Useldinger

John Leslie wrote:

> Or does anyone have a python script which takes a standard unix
> command as an argument and runs the pyton/windows equivalent on
> windows?

There's not always an equivalent command.

-pu

Grant Edwards

On 2005-03-04, Patrick Useldinger <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> John Leslie wrote:
>
>> Or does anyone have a python script which takes a standard unix
>> command as an argument and runs the pyton/windows equivalent on
>> windows?

> There's not always an equivalent command.

If you install cygwin there almost always is.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! What I need is a
at MATURE RELATIONSHIP with a

Steven Bethard

Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2005-03-04, Patrick Useldinger <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>John Leslie wrote:
>>

>>>Or does anyone have a python script which takes a standard unix
>>>command as an argument and runs the pyton/windows equivalent on
>>>windows?

>>There's not always an equivalent command.

> If you install cygwin there almost always is.

Also worth mentioning: GnuWin32

http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/

Especially useful if you just want a few specific tools (and not an
entire OS).

STeVe

Patrick Useldinger

Grant Edwards wrote:

> If you install cygwin there almost always is.

If you install cygwin there's no need for what the OP describes.

-pu

Max Erickson

you might also want to take a look at
http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/
where are the tools are available in a single zip file.

max