Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Ruby on Rails or Perl's Maypole..is there a Python equivalent

Ruby on Rails or Perl's Maypole..is there a Python equivalent

Gary Nutbeam

I've noticed that the Perl camp has a very nice web/database environment
called Maypole. Ruby has the Rails environment which on the surface seems
similar to Maypole. I can't find anything in Python that ties a database
to a web interface anywhere near as well as Ruby on Rails or Maypole.

I see the behemoth Zope having the best web/database integration, but
unfortunately I don't want to spent weeks writing xml for the interface.

Does anyone know of something similar to Rails or Maypole in Python?

Thanks.

deelan

Gary Nutbeam wrote:
(...)
> Does anyone know of something similar to Rails or Maypole in Python?

you may want to take a look at subway:
<http://subway.python-hosting.com/>

it glues together cherrypy2, sqlobject
and cheetah using an MVC approach.

HTH,
deelan.

Gary Nutbeam

Two out of three on the home made approach I was thinking about.

Quixote, Cheetah and SQLObject.

Thanks for the link. I'm perusing it now.

deelan wrote:

> Gary Nutbeam wrote:
> (...)
>> Does anyone know of something similar to Rails or Maypole in Python?

> you may want to take a look at subway:
> <http://subway.python-hosting.com/>
>
> it glues together cherrypy2, sqlobject
> and cheetah using an MVC approach.
>
> HTH,
> deelan.

D H

Gary Nutbeam wrote:

> I've noticed that the Perl camp has a very nice web/database environment
> called Maypole. Ruby has the Rails environment which on the surface seems
> similar to Maypole. I can't find anything in Python that ties a database
> to a web interface anywhere near as well as Ruby on Rails or Maypole.
>
> I see the behemoth Zope having the best web/database integration, but
> unfortunately I don't want to spent weeks writing xml for the interface.
>
> Does anyone know of something similar to Rails or Maypole in Python?

Check out Castle on Rails for .NET/Mono. It is still in early
development, but you can use it with C#, VB, or boo, and I'm sure
eventually with IronPython as well.

Bruno Desthuilliers

Gary Nutbeam a écrit :
> I've noticed that the Perl camp has a very nice web/database environment
> called Maypole. Ruby has the Rails environment which on the surface seems
> similar to Maypole. I can't find anything in Python that ties a database
> to a web interface anywhere near as well as Ruby on Rails or Maypole.
>
> I see the behemoth Zope having the best web/database integration, but
> unfortunately I don't want to spent weeks writing xml for the interface.

Is this a troll ? I wrote several Zope apps, and I don't remember having
written a single ligne of xml. Unless you count ZPT for XML ?

Gary Nutbeam

I count zpt as xml because page templates can operate in html or xml mode.
This is not a troll. It is a lot of work in Zope to create interfaces to
relational data for anything more than simple data models.

It's a lot less work in Maypole or Rails, but I don't want to go back to
writing in Perl, or needing to learn Ruby.

I do like Formulator but the documentation on it is weak. I don't want to
have to go rooting around in the source code or spending hours on weeding
through mailing lists for answers. I still have to screw around and glue
formulator to the data with python, zpt, and zsql methods. Archetypes seems
a lot closer to a fix, but there are problems with SQLStorage representing
anything more than simple relationships reliably.

It would be nice to have an object database that is ACID compliant.

Bruno Desthuilliers wrote:
<snip>

> Is this a troll ? I wrote several Zope apps, and I don't remember having
> written a single ligne of xml. Unless you count ZPT for XML ?

Gary Nutbeam

Thanks for the feedback. I should have been more specific though and
mentioned this has done on Linux (client and server).

D H wrote:

> Gary Nutbeam wrote:
>
>> I've noticed that the Perl camp has a very nice web/database environment
>> called Maypole. Ruby has the Rails environment which on the surface seems
>> similar to Maypole. I can't find anything in Python that ties a database
>> to a web interface anywhere near as well as Ruby on Rails or Maypole.
>>
>> I see the behemoth Zope having the best web/database integration, but
>> unfortunately I don't want to spent weeks writing xml for the interface.
>>
>> Does anyone know of something similar to Rails or Maypole in Python?

> Check out Castle on Rails for .NET/Mono. It is still in early
> development, but you can use it with C#, VB, or boo, and I'm sure
> eventually with IronPython as well.

Steve Holden

Gary Nutbeam wrote:
> I count zpt as xml because page templates can operate in html or xml mode.
> This is not a troll. It is a lot of work in Zope to create interfaces to
> relational data for anything more than simple data models.
>
> It's a lot less work in Maypole or Rails, but I don't want to go back to
> writing in Perl, or needing to learn Ruby.
>
> I do like Formulator but the documentation on it is weak. I don't want to
> have to go rooting around in the source code or spending hours on weeding
> through mailing lists for answers. I still have to screw around and glue
> formulator to the data with python, zpt, and zsql methods. Archetypes seems
> a lot closer to a fix, but there are problems with SQLStorage representing
> anything more than simple relationships reliably.
>
> It would be nice to have an object database that is ACID compliant.

Have you looked at Caché? You can download a fully-functional version to
play with, though it's got a fairly steep learning curve for
non-relational use:

http://www.intersystems.com/cache/
InterSystems Caché: Post-relational Database

regards
Steve
Come to PyCon DC 2005 http://www.pycon.org/
Steve Holden http://www.holdenweb.com/

bruno modulix

Gary Nutbeam wrote:
> I count zpt as xml because page templates can operate in html or xml mode.

I can understand this, but from a practical POV, ZPT are mainly (x)html
templates. A valid (x)html page is a valid ZPT too. This has nothing in
common with the hundreds of complicated XML conf files needed by most
J2EE app servers.

> This is not a troll. It is a lot of work in Zope to create interfaces to
> relational data for anything more than simple data models.
>
> It's a lot less work in Maypole or Rails,

I've never worked with any of them, so I can't tell. It's also true that
most of what I've done with Zope so far relies mostly on the ZODB, RDBMS
connections being merely used as a bridge to share data with other
systems. Still, I didn't have any problem with Zope/RDBMS integration so
far.

> but I don't want to go back to
> writing in Perl,

!-)

> or needing to learn Ruby.

A nice language, but yes, there can be practical reasons to stick with
Python.

(snip)

--
bruno desthuilliers
ruby -e "print '(E-Mail Removed)'.split('@').collect{|p|

John J. Lee

Gary Nutbeam <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> D H wrote:

[...]
> > Check out Castle on Rails for .NET/Mono. It is still in early
> > development, but you can use it with C#, VB, or boo, and I'm sure
> > eventually with IronPython as well.

> Thanks for the feedback. I should have been more specific though and
> mentioned this has done on Linux (client and server).

Mono runs on Linux.

John