Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Autolaunch VPN Client

Autolaunch VPN Client

JJDC

Using VPN Concentrator 3000 with VPN Client 4.0, slit tunneling
disabled. Would like the VPN client on remote machines to autolaunch
anytime it detects an internet connection (dial-up, LAN, Wi-fi). Users
would not be able to control this option. Objective is to ensure that
all traffic to the laptops passes through our firewalls, so we don't
have to worry about compromised machines accessing network.

Alternate solutions: local firewalls on remote machines, static
internal IPs, any other ideas?

News Account

Search for "auto initiation" in the help file.

Don Woodward

"JJDC" <> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> Using VPN Concentrator 3000 with VPN Client 4.0, slit tunneling
> disabled. Would like the VPN client on remote machines to autolaunch
> anytime it detects an internet connection (dial-up, LAN, Wi-fi). Users
> would not be able to control this option. Objective is to ensure that
> all traffic to the laptops passes through our firewalls, so we don't
> have to worry about compromised machines accessing network.
>
> Alternate solutions: local firewalls on remote machines, static
> internal IPs, any other ideas?

JJDC

I had read that previously, but seemed to only apply to wireless
connections. I want something to make it mandatory to connect with VPN
client with any network connection, but still lets the users work in
an unconnected state...

"News Account" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<xL0Dc.882$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Search for "auto initiation" in the help file.
>
> Don Woodward
>

> "JJDC" <> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> > Using VPN Concentrator 3000 with VPN Client 4.0, slit tunneling
> > disabled. Would like the VPN client on remote machines to autolaunch
> > anytime it detects an internet connection (dial-up, LAN, Wi-fi). Users
> > would not be able to control this option. Objective is to ensure that
> > all traffic to the laptops passes through our firewalls, so we don't
> > have to worry about compromised machines accessing network.
> >
> > Alternate solutions: local firewalls on remote machines, static
> > internal IPs, any other ideas?

News Account

I know it implies wireless in one place but then says "any" in another - how
would it know the difference - the Cisco help wording seems contradictory.

Don Woodward

"JJDC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I had read that previously, but seemed to only apply to wireless
> connections. I want something to make it mandatory to connect with VPN
> client with any network connection, but still lets the users work in
> an unconnected state...
>
> "News Account" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:<xL0Dc.882$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > Search for "auto initiation" in the help file.
> >
> > Don Woodward
> >

> > "JJDC" <> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> > > Using VPN Concentrator 3000 with VPN Client 4.0, slit tunneling
> > > disabled. Would like the VPN client on remote machines to autolaunch
> > > anytime it detects an internet connection (dial-up, LAN, Wi-fi). Users
> > > would not be able to control this option. Objective is to ensure that
> > > all traffic to the laptops passes through our firewalls, so we don't
> > > have to worry about compromised machines accessing network.
> > >
> > > Alternate solutions: local firewalls on remote machines, static
> > > internal IPs, any other ideas?

mikester

"News Account" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<%cZDc.4073$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> I know it implies wireless in one place but then says "any" in another - how
> would it know the difference - the Cisco help wording seems contradictory.
>
> Don Woodward
>

> "JJDC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > I had read that previously, but seemed to only apply to wireless
> > connections. I want something to make it mandatory to connect with VPN
> > client with any network connection, but still lets the users work in
> > an unconnected state...
> >
> > "News Account" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> news:<xL0Dc.882$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > > Search for "auto initiation" in the help file.
> > >
> > > Don Woodward
> > >

> > > "JJDC" <> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed) m...

Try this web page...

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/p...0800bd98e.html

You need to configure your vpnclient.ini with the auto initiation
options. In those options you specify a network (IP/netmask
combination) that would cause the auto initiation to happen. I'm not
sure but you could try 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0 (like a default route statement
that matches everything) and that might match any network causing the
auto initiation feature to happen any time the network adapter is up
and has an ip address. The bad part is that if the network adapter is
up and windows assigns one of those "169...." Ip addresses your auto
initiation feature will still try to connect (and fail).