Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > [newbie]How to install python under DOS and is there any Wxpython can be installed under dos?

[newbie]How to install python under DOS and is there any Wxpython can be installed under dos?

john san

How to install python under DOS and is there any Wxpython-like can be
installed under dos?

Thanks.

David S.

john san <jkjone2002 <at> att.net> writes:

> How to install python under DOS and is there any Wxpython-like can be
> installed under dos?
>
> Thanks.

If you are looking for Windows installers then, yes. See:
http://www.wxpython.org/
http://www.wxpython.org/download.php#binaries

If you are really looking for dos binaries, I guess you need to
build them yourself.

Fuzzyman

Hans Nowak built some old DOS binaries... although I believe on his
website he points to a more 'modern' projects. Sorry - restricted
internet or I would check for you.

Try http://zephyrfalcon.org

Regards,

Fuzzy

Daniel Bowett

john san wrote:
> How to install python under DOS and is there any Wxpython-like can be
> installed under dos?
>
> Thanks.

Are you actually still running a pure DOS machine? Or are you running
the dos prompt through Windows?

Harlin

Any reason you're asking about wxPython for "DOS"? Just curious.

john san

pure DOS, old pc, used for teaching . want show some "windows" under DOS
(under Python).

"Daniel Bowett" <(E-Mail Removed)> ????
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> john san wrote:
> > How to install python under DOS and is there any Wxpython-like can be
> > installed under dos?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >

> Are you actually still running a pure DOS machine? Or are you running
> the dos prompt through Windows?

john san

Just want to show "windows" under dos without MsWindows. Also find some
difficulty to simply install WxPython under directory(DOS) and then run,
which is very good thing if it is just like Java.
I want a simple solution for Python to install to DOS and then can have
"Windows" running.( to be used under mod-xbox which support only limited
python via using xboxmediacenter. (xbox using stripped NT OS).

"Harlin" <(E-Mail Removed)> ????
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Any reason you're asking about wxPython for "DOS"? Just curious.

Jeff Shannon

john san wrote:

> Just want to show "windows" under dos without MsWindows. Also find some
> difficulty to simply install WxPython under directory(DOS) and then run,
> which is very good thing if it is just like Java.

I don't think you'll have any luck finding wxPython for DOS. A bit of
a looksee around the wxWidgets website (wxPython is a wrapper for
wxWidgets) mentions being available for Win3.1 and up, as well as
various levels of *nix installs (wxGTK, wxMotif, wxX11), but no
mention of DOS. I suppose that a very ambitious person could perhaps
get the wxUniversal port to run on DOS, but I presume that this would
be far from trivial.

On the other hand, you probably could find and/or create some sort of
basic text-only windowing library. It won't be wxPython, nor anything
even close to that level of sophistication, but that's what happens
when you insist on using an OS that's been obsolete for a decade or
more.

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer
Credit International

john san

Actually the "windows" running very good under the xbox-NTOS via
xboxmediacenter. its just limited functions(not easy to programming the
"windows" prog.), if we can find WxPython-like can be ported (I can import *
from it to my xboxPython) )it will be a great great ......... You will have
HD screen and web surfing on HDTV and computing on HDTV. think about it!
That is a real thing the python-like lang. should to do otherwise just a
garbage(toy).

"Jeff Shannon" <(E-Mail Removed)> ????
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> john san wrote:
>
> > Just want to show "windows" under dos without MsWindows. Also find some
> > difficulty to simply install WxPython under directory(DOS) and then run,
> > which is very good thing if it is just like Java.

> I don't think you'll have any luck finding wxPython for DOS. A bit of
> a looksee around the wxWidgets website (wxPython is a wrapper for
> wxWidgets) mentions being available for Win3.1 and up, as well as
> various levels of *nix installs (wxGTK, wxMotif, wxX11), but no
> mention of DOS. I suppose that a very ambitious person could perhaps
> get the wxUniversal port to run on DOS, but I presume that this would
> be far from trivial.
>
> On the other hand, you probably could find and/or create some sort of
> basic text-only windowing library. It won't be wxPython, nor anything
> even close to that level of sophistication, but that's what happens
> when you insist on using an OS that's been obsolete for a decade or
> more.
>
> Jeff Shannon
> Technician/Programmer
> Credit International

Leif B. Kristensen

john san skrev:

> pure DOS, old pc, used for teaching . want show some "windows" under
> DOS (under Python).

curses is a text-based interface that will let you build windowed
applications like you could with the crt unit in Turbo Pascal of those
golden days. I've no idea if anyone's compiled it for the 16-bits DOS
platform, though.
--
Leif Biberg Kristensen