Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Cisco 803 ROMMON password

Cisco 803 ROMMON password

an

>Hi,

>I am trying a password-recovery procedure on a Cisco 803 router. But

somehow, to my
>surprise, someone has put an enable password in TinyRom. We can only list

values, not
>set them. So without the password we can't set the ios-conf to a different

value to
>proceed with password recovery.

>Does anyone have a suggestion on removing a password from the BOOT

envinroment??
>SilvanI know this is a pretty old post, but I have the exact same problem

with my cisco 803,I can't get to an enable prompt in the tiny rom so I can't
change the password.Silvan, if you still read this newsgroup did you have
any luck with this problem? Everyone keeps refering me to
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/474...ec_800.htmlBut this proceedure
doesn't work because I can't get to enabled prompt in the "root"

News Account

There is no such ROM command to set a password.

Per Cisco, "Break (system interrupt) is always enabled for 60 seconds after
the router reboots, regardless of whether it is set to on or off in the
configuration register. During this 60-second window, you can break to the
ROM monitor prompt by pressing the Break key."

If you are seeing an additional password prompt then what you are seeing is
most likely a "AAA" password without the "local" option to fall back on.
Try "AAA new-model" in config mode - before or after you change the enable
password in the recovery procedures.

Don Woodward

"an" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >Hi,

> >I am trying a password-recovery procedure on a Cisco 803 router. But

> somehow, to my
> >surprise, someone has put an enable password in TinyRom. We can only list

> values, not
> >set them. So without the password we can't set the ios-conf to a

different
> value to
> >proceed with password recovery.

> >Does anyone have a suggestion on removing a password from the BOOT

> envinroment??
> >SilvanI know this is a pretty old post, but I have the exact same problem

> with my cisco 803,I can't get to an enable prompt in the tiny rom so I

can't
> change the password.Silvan, if you still read this newsgroup did you have
> any luck with this problem? Everyone keeps refering me to
> http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/474...ec_800.htmlBut this proceedure
> doesn't work because I can't get to enabled prompt in the "root"

an

"News Account" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Jv4Cc.6616$(E-Mail Removed)...
> There is no such ROM command to set a password.
>
> Per Cisco, "Break (system interrupt) is always enabled for 60 seconds

after
> the router reboots, regardless of whether it is set to on or off in the
> configuration register. During this 60-second window, you can break to the
> ROM monitor prompt by pressing the Break key."
>
> If you are seeing an additional password prompt then what you are seeing

is
> most likely a "AAA" password without the "local" option to fall back on.
> Try "AAA new-model" in config mode - before or after you change the enable
> password in the recovery procedures.
>
> Don Woodward

Its not giving me a password prompt, it needs to be enabled at "root" level.
Its when I try to enter enable it passwords me.

This is all I get when I try. I need the prompt to be boot# to enter any
commands at all.

boot> set ios-conf
ios-conf: failed, "permission denied"
boot>

> "an" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > >Hi,

> > >I am trying a password-recovery procedure on a Cisco 803 router. But

> > somehow, to my
> > >surprise, someone has put an enable password in TinyRom. We can only

list
> > values, not
> > >set them. So without the password we can't set the ios-conf to a

> different
> > value to
> > >proceed with password recovery.

> > >Does anyone have a suggestion on removing a password from the BOOT

> > envinroment??
> > >SilvanI know this is a pretty old post, but I have the exact same

problem
> > with my cisco 803,I can't get to an enable prompt in the tiny rom so I

> can't
> > change the password.Silvan, if you still read this newsgroup did you

have
> > any luck with this problem? Everyone keeps refering me to
> > http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/474...ec_800.htmlBut this proceedure
> > doesn't work because I can't get to enabled prompt in the "root"

"an" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "News Account" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Jv4Cc.6616$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > There is no such ROM command to set a password.

Yes indeed there is with the 800 series, bottom of page D-2
in the manual.

NOTE Cisco does not recommend setting a ROM monitor password. The only
situation
which you should set a password is if you allow remote access via a modem to
the ROM monitor.
If you set this password, you will be in disable mode when you enter the ROM
monitor and must
enter the password if you want to enter enable mode. If you forget this
password, you must contact the
Cisco Technical Assistance Centre to recover it.

Good luck doing that, as the "experts" basically tell you what Don Woodward
has said here.

> > Per Cisco, "Break (system interrupt) is always enabled for 60 seconds

> after
> > the router reboots, regardless of whether it is set to on or off in the
> > configuration register. During this 60-second window, you can break to

the
> > ROM monitor prompt by pressing the Break key."
> >
> > If you are seeing an additional password prompt then what you are seeing

> is
> > most likely a "AAA" password without the "local" option to fall back on.
> > Try "AAA new-model" in config mode - before or after you change the

enable
> > password in the recovery procedures.
> >
> > Don Woodward

> Its not giving me a password prompt, it needs to be enabled at "root"

level.
> Its when I try to enter enable it passwords me.
>
> This is all I get when I try. I need the prompt to be boot# to enter any
> commands at all.
>
> boot> set ios-conf
> ios-conf: failed, "permission denied"
> boot>

> > > somehow, to my

> list
> > > values, not

> > different
> > > value to

> > > envinroment??

> problem
> > > with my cisco 803,I can't get to an enable prompt in the tiny rom so I

> > can't
> > > change the password.Silvan, if you still read this newsgroup did you

> have
> > > any luck with this problem? Everyone keeps refering me to
> > > http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/474...ec_800.htmlBut this

proceedure
> > > doesn't work because I can't get to enabled prompt in the "root"

News Account

"127" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "an" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "News Account" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:Jv4Cc.6616$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > There is no such ROM command to set a password.

> Yes indeed there is with the 800 series, bottom of page D-2
> in the manual.

Which manual?

News Account

OK, here's what I found - there is no password command in ROM on the 837 or
827 - but after further research, there appears to be one on some 800 series
routers - I see on Cisco's site that the 805 has a password command in ROM.

Not all 800 series are alike - the 806, 827 and 837 have a different
password recovery procedure from the 801,802,803,804,805,811 and 813
routers.

Don Woodward

"News Account" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OIfCc.6820$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "127" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "an" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > >
> > > "News Account" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:Jv4Cc.6616$(E-Mail Removed)...

> > Yes indeed there is with the 800 series, bottom of page D-2
> > in the manual.
> >

> Which manual?

Silvan

Hi,

> SilvanI know this is a pretty old post, but I have the exact same problem
> with my cisco 803,I can't get to an enable prompt in the tiny rom so I

can't
> change the password.Silvan, if you still read this newsgroup did you have
> any luck with this problem? Everyone keeps refering me to
> http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/474...ec_800.htmlBut this proceedure
> doesn't work because I can't get to enabled prompt in the "root"

Well I still read this group with interest and was quite surprised to get a
reply on this pretty old post.
I will did not find an answer to the issue unfortunately.

Many thanks,
Silvan

an

"Silvan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cbeo4e$1hs1$(E-Mail Removed)...
: Hi,
:
: > SilvanI know this is a pretty old post, but I have the exact same
problem
: > with my cisco 803,I can't get to an enable prompt in the tiny rom so I
: can't
: > change the password.Silvan, if you still read this newsgroup did you
have
: > any luck with this problem? Everyone keeps refering me to
: > http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/474...ec_800.htmlBut this proceedure
: > doesn't work because I can't get to enabled prompt in the "root"
:
: Well I still read this group with interest and was quite surprised to get
: reply on this pretty old post.
: I will did not find an answer to the issue unfortunately.
:
: Many thanks,
: Silvan

It makes me so angry to think, that this basically makes the 803 an
expensive piece of junk if this problem
occurs. Did you actually set the password, or was it on by default?

I'm 99% sure that with my router it was on by default.

I'll post the results if I find an answer to this problem.

:
:

Victor Cappuccio

Hola an

Look here http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/...800942c2.shtml

look here also
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/...800940ec.shtml

Saludos,
Victor Cappuccio

"an" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> >Hi,

> >I am trying a password-recovery procedure on a Cisco 803 router. But

> somehow, to my
> >surprise, someone has put an enable password in TinyRom. We can only list

> values, not
> >set them. So without the password we can't set the ios-conf to a different

> value to
> >proceed with password recovery.

> >Does anyone have a suggestion on removing a password from the BOOT

> envinroment??
> >SilvanI know this is a pretty old post, but I have the exact same problem

> with my cisco 803,I can't get to an enable prompt in the tiny rom so I can't
> change the password.Silvan, if you still read this newsgroup did you have
> any luck with this problem? Everyone keeps refering me to
> http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/474...ec_800.htmlBut this proceedure
> doesn't work because I can't get to enabled prompt in the "root"

an

"Victor Cappuccio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
: Hola an
:
: Look here
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/...800942c2.shtml
:
: look here also
:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/...800940ec.shtml
:
: Saludos,
: Victor Cappuccio

Hi Victor,
I can't get to the above links.... its passwording me.

Cisco passwords are driving me crazy, I can't use my router because of a
password, I can't get to the above links because of another cisco password

:
:
: "an" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
: > >Hi,
: >
[...]

Rommon password on 800 Paul Matthews Cisco 4 10-31-2007 11:08 PM
803 password recovery oddity Cas Cisco 5 05-13-2005 09:41 AM
Cisco newbie: Cisco 1721 in rommon. Christian Lungwitz Cisco 4 01-26-2005 07:51 AM
803 tiny rom password Joerg Dorchain Cisco 2 12-15-2004 12:59 PM
Re: Cisco 803 ROMMON password Martijn Koopsen Cisco 1 07-22-2003 01:57 AM

Advertisments