Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > connecting to Sybase/MsSQL from python

connecting to Sybase/MsSQL from python

John Fabiani

Hi,
I'm hoping someone on the list has connected to sybase/MsSQL with something
that works with DBAPI 2.0 from a linux box (SUSE 9.2) because I can't seem
to get it done. I found Object Craft's python code that uses FreeTDS. But
I can't get it compiled. The code is looking for "sybdb.h" (first error) -
of course I don't have "sybdb.h". It is not in Object Crafts code nor in
the FreeTDS source. I'm guessing that I need sybase develop lib's but I
don't know where they are to be found.

So is there a kind sole out there that can help with instructions on what is
needed to get python talking to MsSQL.

jOHN

Ed Leafe

On Feb 11, 2005, at 8:12 PM, John Fabiani wrote:

> So is there a kind sole out there that can help with instructions on
> what is
> needed to get python talking to MsSQL.

Has anyone ever used this product:
http://www.object-craft.com.au/projects/mssql/

Any feedback, positive or negative?

___/
/
__/
/
____/
Ed Leafe
http://leafe.com/
http://dabodev.com/
Come to PyCon!!!! http://www.python.org/pycon/2005/

vincent wehren

"John Fabiani" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:OJcPd.4065$(E-Mail Removed) t...
> Hi,
> I'm hoping someone on the list has connected to sybase/MsSQL with
> something
> that works with DBAPI 2.0 from a linux box (SUSE 9.2) because I can't seem
> to get it done. I found Object Craft's python code that uses FreeTDS.
> But
> I can't get it compiled. The code is looking for "sybdb.h" (first
> error) -
> of course I don't have "sybdb.h". It is not in Object Crafts code nor in
> the FreeTDS source. I'm guessing that I need sybase develop lib's but I
> don't know where they are to be found.
>
> So is there a kind sole out there that can help with instructions on what
> is
> needed to get python talking to MsSQL.
>
> jOHN

Use mxODBC?

--

Vincent Wehren

Alan Kennedy

[John Fabiani]
> I'm hoping someone on the list has connected to sybase/MsSQL with something
> that works with DBAPI 2.0 from a linux box (SUSE 9.2) because I can't seem
> to get it done. I found Object Craft's python code that uses FreeTDS. But
> I can't get it compiled. The code is looking for "sybdb.h" (first error) -
> of course I don't have "sybdb.h". It is not in Object Crafts code nor in
> the FreeTDS source. I'm guessing that I need sybase develop lib's but I
> don't know where they are to be found.

Hmmm, google("sybdb.h source", submit="I'm feeling Lucky")

lands on

http://www.freetds.org/reference/a00337.html

which has a GPL licence declaration on the top, so it seems that the
FreeTDS have an OSS version available.

If your compile is failing because it cannot find the file, perhaps you
neglected to run "./configure" before starting the compile?

http://www.freetds.org/userguide/config.htm

> So is there a kind sole out there that can help with instructions on what is
> needed to get python talking to MsSQL.

Sorry, can't help you there, haven't used FreeTDS.

But I hate to see questions being asked a *second* time without some
form of reasonable answer .....

As already mentioned by another poster, have you considered using ODBC?
There are several python ODBC implementations.

HTH,

--
alan kennedy
email alan: http://xhaus.com/contact/alan