Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Testing web applications

Testing web applications

Achim Domma (Procoders)

Hi,

I'm looking for frameworks to make testing web applications - i.e.
parsing and filling out forms - easier. I found Puffin, which looks good
but not very usable in the current state. I know that I once read about
other nice frameworks, but could not find one via google. Any hints?

regards,
Achim

Josef Meile

Hi Achim,

> I'm looking for frameworks to make testing web applications - i.e.
> parsing and filling out forms - easier. I found Puffin, which looks good
> but not very usable in the current state. I know that I once read about
> other nice frameworks, but could not find one via google. Any hints?

Zope + Formulator is a nice combination to validating and designing
forms and add some functionality. If you want a more complicated content
management framework, then you can additionally install plain CMF or
Plone, which is based on CMF. There is also something called Silva, but
it doesn't have many products as the other two; however, it is also
nice.

I have heard also about CherryPy, Quixote, Twisted Matrix and Webware,
but I haven't tested them. Once I saw that somebody posted a link, which
compares some of them, but I lost that thread

Regards,
Josef

Josef Meile

> Zope + Formulator is a nice combination to validating and designing
> forms and add some functionality. If you want a more complicated content
> management framework, then you can additionally install plain CMF or
> Plone, which is based on CMF. There is also something called Silva, but
> it doesn't have many products as the other two; however, it is also
> nice.
>
> I have heard also about CherryPy, Quixote, Twisted Matrix and Webware,
> but I haven't tested them. Once I saw that somebody posted a link, which
> compares some of them, but I lost that thread

I found it:
http://www.cmsmatrix.org/

news.sydney.pipenetworks.com

Achim Domma (Procoders) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for frameworks to make testing web applications - i.e.
> parsing and filling out forms - easier. I found Puffin, which looks good
> but not very usable in the current state. I know that I once read about
> other nice frameworks, but could not find one via google. Any hints?
>
> regards,
> Achim

I've used Jython and a java package called httpunit to great effect. It
even supports javascript on your pages.

Huy

Achim Domma (Procoders)

news.sydney.pipenetworks.com wrote:

> I've used Jython and a java package called httpunit to great effect. It
> even supports javascript on your pages.

Thanks, that is the option I'm currentyl testing. Works great so far!

regards,
Achim

Grig Gheorghiu

The Jython / HttpUnit combination worked well for me too. There's also
maxq (http://maxq.tigris.org/), which looks promising, but I haven't
used it yet.

Grig

====
http://agiletesting.blogspot.com

John J. Lee

Josef Meile <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> > I'm looking for frameworks to make testing web applications -
> > i.e. parsing and filling out forms - easier. I found Puffin, which
> > looks good but not very usable in the current state. I know that I
> > once read about other nice frameworks, but could not find one via
> > google. Any hints?

> Zope + Formulator is a nice combination to validating and designing
> forms and add some functionality. If you want a more complicated content
> management framework, then you can additionally install plain CMF or
> Plone, which is based on CMF. There is also something called Silva, but
> it doesn't have many products as the other two; however, it is also
> nice.
>
> I have heard also about CherryPy, Quixote, Twisted Matrix and Webware,
> but I haven't tested them. Once I saw that somebody posted a link, which
> compares some of them, but I lost that thread

Did you read the question?

John

richard

John J. Lee wrote:
>> > I'm looking for frameworks to make testing web applications -

> Did you read the question?

To answer the original question, which I did not see when first posted:

http://www.mechanicalcat.net/tech/webunit/

Richard