Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Learning Python - resources and ideas

Learning Python - resources and ideas

AnOvercomer02@webtv.net (Cody Houston)

Hi. What is the best way to learn Python? None of the local schools
near me teach any courses on the topic. Thanks.

--

Cody Houston

Brian van den Broek

(E-Mail Removed) (Cody Houston) said unto the world upon
2005-02-08 05:06:
> Hi. What is the best way to learn Python? None of the local schools
> near me teach any courses on the topic. Thanks.
>
> --
>
> Cody Houston
> (E-Mail Removed)

Hi Cody,

rec.photo.equipment.35mm? -- kind of an odd follow-up for a post to
com.lang.python.

First thing is to learn to ask better questions. It is a bit hard for
anyone to know what to say without knowing your background and level
of experience with computers and programming.
<http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html> contains a lot of
very good advice on this.

As for actual learning resources, did you look at www.python.org at
all? (Or search the archives of this group?) The python site has a few
pages of links that speak directly to your question.

But, some concrete suggestions:

The most useful resources for me (I'm still learning, too) was the
Tutor list <http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/tutor>.

A free book that starts very slow (it is aimed at high-school
students) is <http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/thinkCSpy/>

I started with that, until I had a bit of a sense of things (Python is
my first language since some BASIC quite some time ago). The Learning
Python helped a lot <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/lpython2/>.

Best,

Brian vdB

Luis M. Gonzalez

Regarding rec.photo.equipment.35mm... this is not his fault.
Yesterday I tried posting to comp.lang.python and, for some strange
reason, it was posted momentarily to this group.

Regarding Cody's question:
If you are an absolute newby, try Josh Cogliati's python tutorial for
non-programmers (google this).
I learned the basics with it.

Then you can try any of the other resources listed in www.python.org.
If you're willing to buy a book, try "Learning Python 2nd.Ed" by Mark
Lutz or "Core Python" by Wesley Chun.

Regards,
Luis