Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > OSPF Area 0

OSPF Area 0

Benson

Hi,
I have a network question:
( Area 12 )
(subnet = 100.12.0.0/16)
((Some Routers)(area 11))

((some routers )( Area10)) ----- ( Router R ) ------ ((some routers )(area 9))
(subnet = 100.10.0.0/16) (subnet = 100.11.0.0/16)
( Area 10 ) ( Area 11 )

They are running the OSPF routing protocols.

How can I set up the area 0 for this network ? Area 0 including the R only ?
so that

Ospf 100
network 100.10.0.0 0.0.255.255 area 0
network 100.11.0.0 0.0.255.255 area 0
network 100.12.0.0 0.0.255.255 area 0

Am I right ? if not, how can I config the area 0 ?

Thank you so much
Benson

Benson

Hi Stephen,

Thank you for your answer, in fact, I tried this configuration, any
router can ping the others, since they form the adjacenies each other.
But the workstations in any LAN of the routers can not ping the other
workstations, and there is no Tcp/IP configuration problem ( Gateway,
Subnet Mask..are correct ). Do you know why ?

I did not configure the Area 0 in the diagram. ( sorry that, there are
only area 10, 11, 12, and no area 9 in the diagram ), I also
configured the loopback interface, of course ).

Area 10, and 11 represents the two companies, and Area 12 is the ISP
Area.

How can I configure the OSPF area so that workstations in Area 10 can
access the resources in Area 11 and 12, and vice versa.

Thank you very much indeed.
Benson

"shope" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<hE1Bc.210$o35.21@newsfe5-win>...
> [...]

> > They are running the OSPF routing protocols.
> >
> > How can I set up the area 0 for this network ? Area 0 including the R only

> ?
> > so that
> >
> > Ospf 100
> > network 100.10.0.0 0.0.255.255 area 0
> > network 100.11.0.0 0.0.255.255 area 0
> > network 100.12.0.0 0.0.255.255 area 0
> >
> > Am I right ? if not, how can I config the area 0 ?

> a single router can be a member of more than 1 area (ie is an ABR) - so long
> as the list of areas include area 0.
>
> if all you have is a single router connecting all the areas, then that
> router just needs an interface in area 0 - maybe just a loopback?
>
> the thing to watch is that OSPF cant "fix" a split of area 0 into sections -
> area 0 needs to stay interconnected. Not an issue with your diagram, but may
> get more complicated if you have resilient connections.

shope

"Benson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi Stephen,
>
> Thank you for your answer, in fact, I tried this configuration, any
> router can ping the others, since they form the adjacenies each other.
> But the workstations in any LAN of the routers can not ping the other
> workstations, and there is no Tcp/IP configuration problem ( Gateway,
> Subnet Mask..are correct ). Do you know why ?
>
> I did not configure the Area 0 in the diagram. ( sorry that, there are
> only area 10, 11, 12, and no area 9 in the diagram ), I also
> configured the loopback interface, of course ).

if you dont have an area 0, then OSPF is not going to work. if you want to
use areas, then OSPF is required to have area 0.

If you dont like that, then the alternatives are to alter the routers so
that they are all in the same area, (easiest fix) or link the different
areas by a different routing protocol and use route redistribution between
say BGP and OSPF - it will get more complicated.

every router connected to 2 or more areas must be connected to area 0, or no
routes will propagate between the different routers in different areas.

Have a look in the routing tables in each router, and see if they have
routes for other areas besides the areas directly connected.

--
Regards

Benson

Hi, Stephen,

I did it, thank you for your instruction.

The two companies can access each other, after introducing the Area O
into the network by adding a extra loopback interface in the Router R,
but how to configure between the R and the ISP, since it is using BGP
routing protocols.
Let's say Area 12 uses AS#12, Area 11 uses AS#11, and Area 10 uses
AS#10, so how can I configure the redistribution between the AS and
Area.

Thank you very much
Benson