Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > cisco dot1q and 2 routers

cisco dot1q and 2 routers

jmize@dickinsonwright.com

I have 2 extreme switches,
beetween them i have 2 2621 cisco routers.
if the to switches are connected together with out the router i can
pass vlan 150.
by placing the vlan 150 on the 2 ports connectint the switches.th
evlan 150 will follow the path set port to port. i had hope the same
would work with the cisco routers.
if i place 2 2621 routers between them i cannot. i tried the following
config

r1
fas 0/0
ip address 10.10.1.241 255.255.0.0
fas 0/0.150
encap dot1q 150

fas 0/1
ip address 10.100.110.10 255.255.255.0
fas 0/1.150
encap dot1q 150

r2

fas 0/1
ip address 10.100.110.11 255.255.255.0
fas 0/1.150
encap dot1q 150

fas 0/0
ip address 10.11.1.241 255.255.0.0
fas 0/0.150
encap dot1q 150

If i place an ipaddress from my vlan 150 (10.150.0.10) on the fas 0/0
of R1 i can ping it from a user on vlan 150, so i can see the router
picking up the packest on the first interface. just cannot get the
vlan to pass through the router.
Jeff

Bill F

the subints need ip addresses.

Hansang Bae

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
> I have 2 extreme switches,
> beetween them i have 2 2621 cisco routers.
> if the to switches are connected together with out the router i can
> pass vlan 150.
> by placing the vlan 150 on the 2 ports connectint the switches.th
> evlan 150 will follow the path set port to port. i had hope the same
> would work with the cisco routers.
> if i place 2 2621 routers between them i cannot. i tried the following
> config
>
> r1
> fas 0/0
> ip address 10.10.1.241 255.255.0.0
> fas 0/0.150
> encap dot1q 150
>
> fas 0/1
> ip address 10.100.110.10 255.255.255.0
> fas 0/1.150
> encap dot1q 150
>
> r2
>
> fas 0/1
> ip address 10.100.110.11 255.255.255.0
> fas 0/1.150
> encap dot1q 150
>
> fas 0/0
> ip address 10.11.1.241 255.255.0.0
> fas 0/0.150
> encap dot1q 150
>
> If i place an ipaddress from my vlan 150 (10.150.0.10) on the fas 0/0
> of R1 i can ping it from a user on vlan 150, so i can see the router
> picking up the packest on the first interface. just cannot get the
> vlan to pass through the router.

Kind of confusing as to what you're trying to do. But if you put an IP
on the major interface (Fa0/1 for example), it will not be tagged with
the dot1q header. In Cisco-speak, this is called the native VLAN and
native VLANs are not tagged with dot1q unless you explicitly tell the
switch to do so. Also remember that dot1q is only a L2 animal. Routers
do not forward along dot1q headers.

--

hsb

Gordon Smith

What are you trying to achieve?
From your description, you are wanting to use the routers as bridges only.

When tagging interfaces, don't assign an IP address to the primary interface
e.g.
r1
fas 0/0
no ip address
fas 0/0.150
ip address 10.10.1.241 255.255.0.0
encap dot1q 150

Don't confuse layer 2 and layer 3. You may find it helpful to review the OSI
model then re-visit the problem

VLANs, trunking and dot1q questions Chris Cisco 4 01-31-2007 03:20 PM
Dot1Q Tunneling and VLAN Translation MayaYajnik Cisco 1 11-10-2006 06:40 PM
cisco routers and netgear routers Jon L. Miller Cisco 2 02-05-2005 02:49 AM
dot1q and giant frames carl Cisco 1 10-29-2004 07:05 PM
encapsulation dot1q native keyword and inter-vlan routing problem FeatureBug Cisco 3 09-03-2004 06:49 AM

Advertisments