Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Directly connecting two sepertate private networks

Directly connecting two sepertate private networks

Brian

Here's my situation:
I work for the state and we have an office that needs to access
resources on the city's private network in which they reside.
Up till now, (and I didn't know this) they have two pc's on certain
users desks.
They have been provided a microwave link to access the city's network.
The city's router is located next to ours.

What I am trying to do is eliminate the second computer.
We have a cisco 2600 with one ethernet interface.
I subnetted the fast ethernet interface in order to create two vlans
on the switch.
I am going to have the city connect to a port accessing the second
vlan.

Does this scenario sound feasible?
I think it will work but I feel like I'm missing something, but I
don't know what.

Thanks for any advice,
Brian

Kevin Widner

I guess the main question when you connect two networks (as long as
they both use the same protocol) is addressing. You want to make sure
you don't run into any addressing conflicts. If you operate the
smaller network, it would probably be easier to talk with one of the
administrators at the city and have them assign an IP segment that
fits into their addressing scheme. Either way, you both need to agree
on an acceptable subnet. I say this because I assume you are using
private addresses. You don't want to use an address space that they
already use elsewhere on their network.

Kevin