Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > MSI Difficulties

MSI Difficulties

brolewis

I am trying to deploy Python onto a number of laptops and have been
trying to take advantage of Python 2.4's MSI installer. I have tried
using the following commands to install, but to no avail:

msiexec /i python-2.4.msi /qb ALLUSERS=1
-- and --
msiexec /i python-2.4.msi /qb ALLUSERS=1 ADDLOCAL=ALL

However both of these commands fail to update the Windows path to
include C:\Python24 and as such creates problems for me when trying to
actually use Python. How can I rectify this situation? Is there a
command I am missing? Do I need to manually update the Path, and if so,
is there a programatic way I can do this? Thanks in advance

rbt

brolewis wrote:
> I am trying to deploy Python onto a number of laptops and have been
> trying to take advantage of Python 2.4's MSI installer. I have tried
> using the following commands to install, but to no avail:
>
> msiexec /i python-2.4.msi /qb ALLUSERS=1
> -- and --
> msiexec /i python-2.4.msi /qb ALLUSERS=1 ADDLOCAL=ALL
>
> However both of these commands fail to update the Windows path to
> include C:\Python24 and as such creates problems for me when trying to
> actually use Python. How can I rectify this situation? Is there a
> command I am missing? Do I need to manually update the Path, and if so,
> is there a programatic way I can do this? Thanks in advance

I've always manually updated the path... but I suppose there may be a
way to do this automatically during install or programatically (bat file
or py script afterwards). Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can answer
these questions?

Best of luck!

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=

brolewis wrote:
> However both of these commands fail to update the Windows path to
> include C:\Python24 and as such creates problems for me when trying to
> actually use Python.

Not surprisingly so. The Python installation makes no attempt to update
the PATH, and never did so, in any recent release.

> How can I rectify this situation?

There shouldn't be any need to. Just invoke .py files at the command
line, and Windows will find python.exe itself. If you want to invoke
it interactively, either use the Start menu, or invoke
c:\python24\python.exe manually (use the Tab key to not spell out the
entire path letter-by-letter).

Regards,
Martin

Is there any provisions for leaning difficulties in the mcse exams =?Utf-8?B?ZW5ncmhhcnY=?= Microsoft Certification 1 04-14-2005 10:02 AM
MSI Difficulties brolewis Python 0 01-26-2005 09:40 PM
NAT On a Stick 2516 config difficulties iram Cisco 2 12-14-2004 11:48 PM
VLAN Difficulties? gallwapa@puyallup.k12.wa.us Cisco 2 12-10-2004 04:58 PM
Access difficulties to new SoHo 91 router Chris Cisco 1 05-23-2004 08:56 AM

Advertisments