Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Automatic Windows printer creation?

Automatic Windows printer creation?

GMane Python

Anyone know if there's a module which will allow me to 'create' windows
printer definitions? Not from a Windows domain network, but just to add a
printer that sends to a jet-direct-attached printer.

Thanks!
Dave

Roger Upole

You can probably do it through WMI. (class is Win32_Printer)
WMI works well with win32com, and there's also a wrapper module

http://tgolden.sc.sabren.com/python/wmi.html

for simplified access.
I imagine getting all the device parameters and port
configuration right will be messy, though.

Roger

"GMane Python" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Anyone know if there's a module which will allow me to 'create' windows
> printer definitions? Not from a Windows domain network, but just to add a
> printer that sends to a jet-direct-attached printer.
>
> Thanks!
> Dave

Alan Gauld

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 14:35:22 -0500, "GMane Python"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Anyone know if there's a module which will allow me to 'create' windows
> printer definitions? Not from a Windows domain network, but just to add a
> printer that sends to a jet-direct-attached printer.

The easiest way by far is to use the Windows Script Host objects
from winall. WSH makes creating windows resources like printers
etc fairly easy.

Alan g.
Author of the Learn to Program website