Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > video analysis with python

video analysis with python

Ashot

Hi,

I need to write a video analysis tool which extracts statistics from
microsocope video. Essentially what I need is to translate the video data
into numerical matrices. I have been using Python for the past 1.5 years
anytime I could for absolutely everything, because it has every library
imaginable... Alas, I can not find a library for decoding video/using
codecs. The only solution I have been able to come up with is to create
an image sequence and load those in with PIL, however this is not really
feasible as the images are too large (nor is it proffessional).

Is there a library or project that I have missed, or is there a way to
incorporate something like vfw.lib directly? If there isn't I think this
would be a pretty large whole in Python's arsenal. Thanks in advance for
any help.

--
Ashot Petrosian
University of Texas at Austin, Computer Sciences

Miki Tebeka

Hello Ashot,

> I need to write a video analysis tool which extracts statistics from
> microsocope video. Essentially what I need is to translate the video data
> into numerical matrices. I have been using Python for the past 1.5 years
> anytime I could for absolutely everything, because it has every library
> imaginable... Alas, I can not find a library for decoding video/using
> codecs. The only solution I have been able to come up with is to create
> an image sequence and load those in with PIL, however this is not really
> feasible as the images are too large (nor is it proffessional).
>
> Is there a library or project that I have missed, or is there a way
> to incorporate something like vfw.lib directly? If there isn't I think
> this would be a pretty large whole in Python's arsenal. Thanks in advance
> for any help.

1. There is PyMedia (http://pymedia.org/)
2. Maybe you can use the code from VLC (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/)
(using SWIG/PyBoost/Pyrex ...)

HTH.
Miki Tebeka <(E-Mail Removed)>
http://tebeka.bizhat.com
The only difference between children and adults is the price of the toys

Ashot

This helps alot! pyMedia looks perfect. I can't believe I couldn't find
it after a full day of searching.. losing my touch

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 13:44:27 +0200, Miki Tebeka <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> Hello Ashot,
>
>> I need to write a video analysis tool which extracts statistics from
>> microsocope video. Essentially what I need is to translate the video
>> data
>> into numerical matrices. I have been using Python for the past 1.5 years
>> anytime I could for absolutely everything, because it has every library
>> imaginable... Alas, I can not find a library for decoding video/using
>> codecs. The only solution I have been able to come up with is to create
>> an image sequence and load those in with PIL, however this is not really
>> feasible as the images are too large (nor is it proffessional).
>>
>> Is there a library or project that I have missed, or is there a way
>> to incorporate something like vfw.lib directly? If there isn't I
>> think
>> this would be a pretty large whole in Python's arsenal. Thanks in
>> advance
>> for any help.

> 1. There is PyMedia (http://pymedia.org/)
> 2. Maybe you can use the code from VLC (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/)
> (using SWIG/PyBoost/Pyrex ...)
>
> HTH.
> Miki Tebeka <(E-Mail Removed)>
> http://tebeka.bizhat.com
> The only difference between children and adults is the price of the toys

Ashot Petrosian
University of Texas at Austin, Computer Sciences

Alexander 'boesi' =?ISO-8859-1?Q?B=F6secke?=

Hi

Am 16.01.2005 12:44:27 schrieb Miki Tebeka:

> 1. There is PyMedia (http://pymedia.org/)

Is this library able to extract single images from a video? AFAICS it
can only convert videos from one format to another. But I didn't try it,
I've looked only in the docu.

Maybe pyVideo (http://www.geocities.com/rtrocca/python/) would be a
solution. But for me the AVIFile-Module doesn't work stable, it
regularly crashes the python-interpreter.

And there is a library for accessing DirectShow called PyDShowCam.

cu boesi
--
|¯|/¯/¯¯¯\|¯| |¯|¯| |¯|/¯/¯¯¯\|¯¯¯¯\|¯¯¯¯| #1671 : icq-intern
http://| / / /¯\ | | | | | | / / /¯\ | (¯) | |¯¯#73628288 : icq-extern
smb://| \ \ \_/ | `¯´ | |__| \ \ \_/ | ¯ /| ¯| boesi111 : aim
ftp://|_|\_\___/|_|¯|_|____|_|\_\___/|_|¯¯ |_|¯ i171 : reallife

Ashot

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 08:08:46 +0100, Alexander 'boesi' Bösecke
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Am 16.01.2005 12:44:27 schrieb Miki Tebeka:
>
>> 1. There is PyMedia (http://pymedia.org/)

> Is this library able to extract single images from a video? AFAICS it
> can only convert videos from one format to another. But I didn't try it,
> I've looked only in the docu.
>
> Maybe pyVideo (http://www.geocities.com/rtrocca/python/) would be a
> solution. But for me the AVIFile-Module doesn't work stable, it
> regularly crashes the python-interpreter.
>
> And there is a library for accessing DirectShow called PyDShowCam.
>
> cu boesi

I haven't tried it yet, but yes its pretty full featured library, there is
a tutorial here on extracting images:
http://java.sun.com/products/java-me...ameAccess.html

--
Ashot Petrosian
University of Texas at Austin, Computer Sciences

Matthias Baas

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> 1. There is PyMedia (http://pymedia.org/)

>Is this library able to extract single images from a video? AFAICS it
>can only convert videos from one format to another. But I didn't try it,
>I've looked only in the docu.

Yes, you can extract single images from a video. The package uses the
avformat and avcodec libraries from ffmpeg and it provides rather low
level access to video/audio files. You can access the individual
streams in a file, obtain the stream data and decode the data therein.
What you do with the data is up to your application. Converting the
file into another format is just one such application.

- Matthias -