Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Using Sqlite with Python under Windows

Using Sqlite with Python under Windows

Michael Goettsche

Hello guys,

I succeeded in convincing my CS teacher to use Python and Sqlite instead of
Microsoft Access to get started with databases.
We are working on a windows terminal server to which I have no admin access,
so I'd like to ask you which module is best suited to use Sqlite with Python
under windows. The best would be a module which is easy to install without
further dependencies.

Thanks in advance,
Michael

Kartic

Michael Goettsche wrote:

> I succeeded in convincing my CS teacher to use Python and Sqlite

instead of
> Microsoft Access to get started with databases.
> We are working on a windows terminal server to which I have no admin

access,
> so I'd like to ask you which module is best suited to use Sqlite with

Python
> under windows. The best would be a module which is easy to install

without
> further dependencies.

Michael,

I posted this morning but I don't know what happened to my post!

In any case, PySqlite is the distribution I have used and is available
at pysqlite.org.

I believe there is another module called APSW (Another Python Sqlite
Wrapper) available, that I stumbled upon just today, after reading your
post. Home page : http://www.rogerbinns.com/apsw.html

Please read the section "pysqlite differences" to see which one you
want to install.

As for installation, it should be as simple as downloading the win32
binaries for your Python distro and executing it. I do not have admin
rights on my Win2K PC at work, but it installed and worked just fine.
So, you should not have any problem. You will not have to install
anything additional other the python-sqlite module itself.

Good choice on selecting Sqlite..I love it and hope you will enjoy it
too!

Thanks,
--Kartic

Michael Goettsche

On Friday 14 January 2005 14:56, Kartic wrote:

> I posted this morning but I don't know what happened to my post!
>
> In any case, PySqlite is the distribution I have used and is available
> at pysqlite.org.
>
> I believe there is another module called APSW (Another Python Sqlite
> Wrapper) available, that I stumbled upon just today, after reading your
> post. Home page : http://www.rogerbinns.com/apsw.html
>
> Please read the section "pysqlite differences" to see which one you
> want to install.
>
> As for installation, it should be as simple as downloading the win32
> binaries for your Python distro and executing it. I do not have admin
> rights on my Win2K PC at work, but it installed and worked just fine.
> So, you should not have any problem. You will not have to install
> anything additional other the python-sqlite module itself.
>
> Good choice on selecting Sqlite..I love it and hope you will enjoy it
> too!
>
> Thanks,
> --Kartic

Hi Kartic,

thanks for your answer. I've installed PySqlite on my system at home and will
look into the docs now. I think it's good for our purposes.

Thanks,
Michael

Michel Claveau - abstraction méta-galactique non triviale en fuite perpétuelle.

Thanks, for the link