Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Another look at language comparisons

Another look at language comparisons

Pierre Quentel

beliavsky@aol.com

>From the web site:
"Why Microsoft can Blow-Off with C#? These people have thought up
programming languages Fortran, Prologue, Ada."

The author is ignorant. Fortran was invented by IBM in the late 1950s,
long before Microsoft existed. Ada was commissioned by the U.S.
Department of Defense in the 1970s. The Prolog programming language is
not spelled "Prologue".

Jan Dries

>>From the web site:

> "Why Microsoft can Blow-Off with C#? These people have thought up
> programming languages Fortran, Prologue, Ada."
>
> The author is ignorant. Fortran was invented by IBM in the late 1950s,
> long before Microsoft existed. Ada was commissioned by the U.S.
> Department of Defense in the 1970s. The Prolog programming language is
> not spelled "Prologue".

I don't think that "these people" is refering to Microsoft. Instead, it
is refering to the three pictures below the text. I assume they are the
pictures of the respective authors of these languages.

The bottom line of the article is that languages authored by men with
beards are more successful than those authored by people without beards.
At least the anecdotical evidence to that is overwhelming

And there is hope for Python, as Guido has recently been seen with a
beard
http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/20...g/IMG_3061.jpg

Regards,
Jan

Max M

Jan Dries wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> And there is hope for Python, as Guido has recently been seen with a
> beard
> http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/20...g/IMG_3061.jpg

LOL, he is working on linux, isn't he?

So it was about bloody time.

--

hilsen/regards Max M, Denmark

http://www.mxm.dk/
IT's Mad Science

Michael Sparks

Pierre Quentel wrote:

> http://khason.biz/blog/2004/12/why-m...ff-with-c.html

I almost didn't look at this, but I'm glad I did - quite a fun comparison,
nicely arbitrary and reminds me of RFC in a similar vein

Michael.

Rick Parsons

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 14:18:15 +0100, Jan Dries wrote:

<snip>

> The bottom line of the article is that languages authored by men with
> beards are more successful than those authored by people without beards.
> At least the anecdotical evidence to that is overwhelming
>
> And there is hope for Python, as Guido has recently been seen with a
> beard
> http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/20...g/IMG_3061.jpg
>
> Regards,
> Jan

What about languages USED by men with beards? There may be hope for me
yet.

Regards,
Rick

Jon Perez

Max M wrote:
> Jan Dries wrote:
>
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> And there is hope for Python, as Guido has recently been seen with a
>> beard
>> http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/20...g/IMG_3061.jpg

> LOL, he is working on linux, isn't he?
>
> So it was about bloody time.

Guido Van Rossum is now working on linux??

Bengt Richter

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 17:54:49 +0800, Jon Perez <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Max M wrote:
>> Jan Dries wrote:
>>
>>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>> And there is hope for Python, as Guido has recently been seen with a
>>> beard
>>> http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/20...g/IMG_3061.jpg

>> LOL, he is working on linux, isn't he?
>>
>> So it was about bloody time.

>Guido Van Rossum is now working on linux??

Are they both left-handed? Hm, sinister ...

Regards,
Bengt Richter

Terry Reedy

>>> http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/20...g/IMG_3061.jpg

Here is the link giving the context for that picture
http://tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2...08/DynamicJava
The other person is Larry Wall. Samuele Pedroni is in the next one.
A rather interesting meeting.

Terry J. Reedy

Jon Perez

Anyone know of a cached copy where the photos are present?

The whole thing makes little sense with the photos gone.