Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Python Operating System???

Python Operating System???

Nick Vargish

Arich Chanachai <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> He should just build around a linux core or use OS kit (if he is
> serious/determined).

There's Ubuntu Linux, a Debian-based distro with commercial backing
and a regular release schedule. One of the neat things about Ubuntu is
that Python use is encouraged. "Python scripting everywhere" is a
stated goal, and they have a number of bounties that concentrate on
deepening the use of Python in the OS:

http://www.ubuntulinux.org/community/bounties

I've been using it on a couple of desktops, and I've been impressed by
the overall quality of the distro. One thing I especially like is that
the root account is disabled by default, administrative tasks are
performed with sudo by users in the appropriate group (much like it is
in Mac OS X 10.3).

Nick

--
# sigmask || 0.2 || 20030107 || public domain || feed this to a python
print reduce(lambda x,y+chr(ord(y)-1),' Ojdl!Wbshjti!=obwAcboefstobudi/psh?')

Stephen Kellett

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Christopher
Koppler <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>Still, Java feels like C++ done right, while being more wrong >:-[

Couldn't disagree more. Just about anything you want to do that is
low-level, is impossible in Java. Anyway this is off-topic.

Stephen
--
Stephen Kellett
Object Media Limited http://www.objmedia.demon.co.uk

Stephen Kellett

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Arich
Chanachai <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>think). Or what about D?

Digital Mars have a D compiler.
http://www.digitalmars.com

Stephen
--
Stephen Kellett
Object Media Limited http://www.objmedia.demon.co.uk
RSI Information: http://www.objmedia.demon.co.uk/rsi.html

Michael Hobbs

David Brown <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hello. I recently came across a free operating system called Unununium (or
> something like that) and it was developed in Python and Assembly.
>
> Now, I have been looking for a way to make an operating system for a long
> long time and the only possibilities I could find were C++ and assembly.

The problem when using Python instead of C for OS development is that
C was *specifically designed* to create an OS, while Python was designed
for completely different purposes. If you want to write an OS, it would
be wise to use a language that is suited for that purpose. If you
dislike C so much and prefer Python so much more, your first step should
be to design a Python dialect that is more appropriate for writing OS's.

(I know that you mentioned C++, not C, but I decided to setup C as a
straw-man to make my argument.)

- Mike

Paul Rubin

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Michael Hobbs) writes:
> The problem when using Python instead of C for OS development is that
> C was *specifically designed* to create an OS, while Python was designed
> for completely different purposes. If you want to write an OS, it would
> be wise to use a language that is suited for that purpose. If you
> dislike C so much and prefer Python so much more, your first step should
> be to design a Python dialect that is more appropriate for writing OS's.

But I thought Python was an all-purpose language. After all, OS's
have been written in Lisp before too.

Bengt Richter

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 16:34:48 -0000, (E-Mail Removed) (Michael Hobbs) wrote:

>David Brown <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Hello. I recently came across a free operating system called Unununium (or
>> something like that) and it was developed in Python and Assembly.
>>
>> Now, I have been looking for a way to make an operating system for a long
>> long time and the only possibilities I could find were C++ and assembly.

>The problem when using Python instead of C for OS development is that
>C was *specifically designed* to create an OS, while Python was designed
>for completely different purposes. If you want to write an OS, it would
>be wise to use a language that is suited for that purpose. If you
>dislike C so much and prefer Python so much more, your first step should
>be to design a Python dialect that is more appropriate for writing OS's.
>
>(I know that you mentioned C++, not C, but I decided to setup C as a
>straw-man to make my argument.)

I'd say look at Ada for HLL inspiration, if you want to deal with OS level stuff
in Python.

Regards,
Bengt Richter

Arich Chanachai

Paul Rubin wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) (Michael Hobbs) writes:
>

>>The problem when using Python instead of C for OS development is that
>>C was *specifically designed* to create an OS, while Python was designed
>>for completely different purposes. If you want to write an OS, it would
>>be wise to use a language that is suited for that purpose. If you
>>dislike C so much and prefer Python so much more, your first step should
>>be to design a Python dialect that is more appropriate for writing OS's.
>>

>But I thought Python was an all-purpose language. After all, OS's
>have been written in Lisp before too.

Pure Lisp? Or a Lisp/C/Asm combo? Lisp has a compiled flavor by the way.

Paul Rubin

Arich Chanachai <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> >But I thought Python was an all-purpose language. After all, OS's
> >have been written in Lisp before too.
> >

> Pure Lisp? Or a Lisp/C/Asm combo? Lisp has a compiled flavor by the way.

Compiled flavor? Lisp has been compiled since the 1950's.

No, there was no C code on Lisp machines. There was some low-level
code at the bottom whose capabilities were such that you could
accurately call it asm, but it was Lisp too, just a very restricted
form.

Roose

"Michael Hobbs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> David Brown <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Hello. I recently came across a free operating system called Unununium

(or
> > something like that) and it was developed in Python and Assembly.
> >
> > Now, I have been looking for a way to make an operating system for a

long
> > long time and the only possibilities I could find were C++ and assembly.

> The problem when using Python instead of C for OS development is that
> C was *specifically designed* to create an OS, while Python was designed
> for completely different purposes. If you want to write an OS, it would
> be wise to use a language that is suited for that purpose. If you
> dislike C so much and prefer Python so much more, your first step should
> be to design a Python dialect that is more appropriate for writing OS's.

Yes, that sounds pretty realistic : ) For someone who is choosing the wrong
language to write an OS, and who I would guess doesn't understand interrupt
programming and the like -- their first task should be to redesign Python!!

Roose

> But I thought Python was an all-purpose language. After all, OS's
> have been written in Lisp before too.

It is a general purpose APPLICATION language. I am surprised that this
hasn't been mentioned on this thread.

An OS is NOT an application. It is a completely different kind of program.
Do you guys understand the difference between user and kernel mode? Do you
know what address spaces and hardware interrupts are? Python is not
equipped to handle these things. You would end up doing so much in C
extensions that it could barely be called Python.

I am not trying to be insulting... but unless someone would like to educate
me otherwise, the idea of an OS written in Python is almost ludicrous. As I
said, I think you might mean an OS SHELL, which would be a reasonable
(although maybe unconventional) thing to write in python.

Also I am no threading expert, but I would imagine it would be very hard to
write a task scheduler in Python given that it has the whole GIL thing. (As
I said that isn't my domain of expertise but I'm sure someone here could
expound on that.)