Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Contributor's List

Contributor's List

Anand

A list of contributors to Python Cookbook (Second Edition) is available
at the following links. Original list courtesy Alex Martelli.

Since the book is not yet in print, the lists are still tentative
because of potential last minute editing changes.

List of first authors
o http://harvestman.freezope.org/cookbook/credau.html

List of all authors
o http://harvestman.freezope.org/cookbook/creds.html

-Anand

grahamd@dscpl.com.au

Anand wrote:
> A list of contributors to Python Cookbook (Second Edition) is

available
> at the following links. Original list courtesy Alex Martelli.
>
> Since the book is not yet in print, the lists are still tentative
> because of potential last minute editing changes.
>
> List of first authors
> o http://harvestman.freezope.org/cookbook/credau.html
>
> List of all authors
> o http://harvestman.freezope.org/cookbook/creds.html

Is this mean't to only cover additional entries which were added in
the 2nd edition, or is it also mean't to encompass entries which were
carried over from the 1st edition as well.

If it is both, then the editing must have been quite cut throat as I
dropped from 3 entries in the 1st edition to 0 in the 2nd edition.

I can sort of understand if the intent was to get rid of entries which
referenced packages which weren't regarded as mainstream. I guess
it is only 14 years of work down the drain. ;-(

grahamd@dscpl.com.au

Anand wrote:
> A list of contributors to Python Cookbook (Second Edition) is

available
> at the following links. Original list courtesy Alex Martelli.
>
> Since the book is not yet in print, the lists are still tentative
> because of potential last minute editing changes.
>
> List of first authors
> o http://harvestman.freezope.org/cookbook/credau.html
>
> List of all authors
> o http://harvestman.freezope.org/cookbook/creds.html

Is this mean't to only cover additional entries which were added in
the 2nd edition, or is it also mean't to encompass entries which were
carried over from the 1st edition as well.

If it is both, then the editing must have been quite cut throat as I
dropped from 3 entries in the 1st edition to 0 in the 2nd edition.

I can sort of understand if the intent was to get rid of entries which
referenced packages which weren't regarded as mainstream. I guess
it is only 14 years of work down the drain. ;-(

Anand

Please direct all queries to the Cookbook editors...!

Thanks

-Anand

Anand

Please direct all queries to the Cookbook editors!

Thanks

-Anand

Anand

Please direct any query to the Cookbook editors.

Thanks

-Anand

Anand

I have no idea. I am just another contributor like you. Just doing a
service to the Python community by providing the list at my site.
However, I am not responsible
for its content. Please direct your queries to the editors, if any.
Thanks

-Anand

Fuzzyman

My understanding is that the 2nd edition will *only* have new entries.
this may be entirely off the wall of course.
Regards,

Fuzzy

Alex Martelli

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Is this mean't to only cover additional entries which were added in
> the 2nd edition, or is it also mean't to encompass entries which were
> carried over from the 1st edition as well.

The latter: it covers all entries.

> If it is both, then the editing must have been quite cut throat as I

It was indeed. Fewer than half of the recipes in the 2nd edition are
"carried over" (with heavy edits in all cases) from the first.

> dropped from 3 entries in the 1st edition to 0 in the 2nd edition.

True, alas: your three recipes in the Distributed Processing chapter
were dropped. Not light-heartedly, believe me.

> I can sort of understand if the intent was to get rid of entries which

It was of course not my intent to *GET RID* of anything whatsoever: I
selected all the recipes for the 1st edition, just as for the 2nd one,
and would dearly have loved to keep each and every one of them (I
wouldn't have selected them in the first place if I didn't like them).

The INTENT was to add over a couple hundred new and (I do believe)
wonderful recipes; the CONSTRAINT was that I couldn't just blithely
double the book's size. So, the only way to make space for the new was
to ruthlessly cut much of the old, in order to limit the book's size
within reasonable boundaries.

> referenced packages which weren't regarded as mainstream. I guess
> it is only 14 years of work down the drain. ;-(

I wish you wouldn't look on it that way. The Python Cookbook is not
intended as a validation or invalidation of any particular piece of
software -- just, if you will, as a reflection of how widespread the
current interest on it is. Consider: _my_ own lovechild
"non-mainstream" package is gmpy, OK? Well, I didn't put even ONE
recipe about it in either edition nor on the online Cookbook -- nor did
anybody else post recipes using it to the Cookbook, validating my belief
that it's too specialized to cover in the book. I don't consider this
means "years of work down the drain": gmpy scratches the itch I made it
for, and occasional references to others using it are just a little
extra bonus, even if they do make my heart give a little jump of joy
each time I see one.

I think that's the spirit in which to do open-source development...

Alex