Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > is python more popular than coldfusion?

is python more popular than coldfusion?

worzel

is python more popular than coldfusion?

I realsie that is a very general question as one thing does not directly relate to the other. My issue is that I am ditching coldfusion due to there being next to no work for it, and I am thinking of taking on python as a second language to java in the hope of improving my resume.

Fuzzyman

Definitely !

Fuzzy

Premshree Pillai

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 19:59:21 +0800, worzel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> is python more popular than coldfusion?

I don't know if Coldfusion _was_ ever more "popular" than Python, but
Python is definitely more "popular" _now_.

This might be of some help: http://www.tiobe.com/tpci.htm

> I realsie that is a very general question as one thing does not directly
> relate to the other. My issue is that I am ditching coldfusion due to there
> being next to no work for it, and I am thinking of taking on python as a
> second language to java in the hope of improving my resume.

Premshree Pillai
http://www.livejournal.com/~premshree

worzel

How seriuosly do folk take the TIOBE index? Is it a good way to ague what
you should be keeping up to speed with or just a 'vague' guide?

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 21:09:54 +0800, worzel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> How seriuosly do folk take the TIOBE index? Is it a good way to ague what
> you should be keeping up to speed with or just a 'vague' guide?

I use the TIOBE index -- sometimes -- when I give presentations on
Python (and Ruby) to people who haven't heard of the languages.

The index is not something to be relied upon (take a look at the
calculation mechanism). However, more often than not, the indices
seems to reflect what *I* perceive the indices are in reality. So I
kinda use them.

The thing about introducing a "new" language to a bunch of folks used
to their "favorite" language is that they wouldn't care much for a
language it isn't popular, or if it isn't "growing in popularity".

Beyond these things, I don't think anybody uses the index. I mean I
wouldn't tell people to learn languages that hold the top position on
TIOBE .

> "Premshree Pillai" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 19:59:21 +0800, worzel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >>

> >> is python more popular than coldfusion?

> > I don't know if Coldfusion _was_ ever more "popular" than Python, but
> > Python is definitely more "popular" _now_.
> >
> > This might be of some help: http://www.tiobe.com/tpci.htm
> >

> >> I realsie that is a very general question as one thing does not directly
> >> relate to the other. My issue is that I am ditching coldfusion due to
> >> there
> >> being next to no work for it, and I am thinking of taking on python as a
> >> second language to java in the hope of improving my resume.
> >> --
> >>

> > --
> > Premshree Pillai
> > http://www.livejournal.com/~premshree

Premshree Pillai
http://www.livejournal.com/~premshree

worzel

Wth respect to coldfusion, is there much doubt about the fact that Python is
a more prominent and important technology?

How is colfusion percieved by the Python community? Many people belive
coldfusion is becomeing irrelavant and is on its death bed - do Python folk
generally feel this way about it?

Thanks for your input on this by the way.

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 21:30:40 +0800, worzel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Wth respect to coldfusion, is there much doubt about the fact that Python is
> a more prominent and important technology?

No doubt in my mind at least.

> How is colfusion percieved by the Python community? Many people belive
> coldfusion is becomeing irrelavant and is on its death bed - do Python folk
> generally feel this way about it?

I have no much idea about Coldfusion, but as far as its *use* is
concerned, it definitely isn't much.

> Thanks for your input on this by the way.
>
> "Premshree Pillai" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 21:09:54 +0800, worzel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> How seriuosly do folk take the TIOBE index? Is it a good way to ague what
> >> you should be keeping up to speed with or just a 'vague' guide?

> > I use the TIOBE index -- sometimes -- when I give presentations on
> > Python (and Ruby) to people who haven't heard of the languages.
> >
> > The index is not something to be relied upon (take a look at the
> > calculation mechanism). However, more often than not, the indices
> > seems to reflect what *I* perceive the indices are in reality. So I
> > kinda use them.
> >
> > The thing about introducing a "new" language to a bunch of folks used
> > to their "favorite" language is that they wouldn't care much for a
> > language it isn't popular, or if it isn't "growing in popularity".
> >
> > Beyond these things, I don't think anybody uses the index. I mean I
> > wouldn't tell people to learn languages that hold the top position on
> > TIOBE .
> >

> >> "Premshree Pillai" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> >> --
> >>

> > --
> > Premshree Pillai
> > http://www.livejournal.com/~premshree

Premshree Pillai
http://www.livejournal.com/~premshree

worzel

thanks, thats pretty much what I expected to hear.

beliavsky@aol.com

>is python more popular than coldfusion?

>I realsie that is a very general question as one thing does not

directly
>relate to the other. My issue is that I am ditching coldfusion due to
>there being next to no work for it, and I am thinking of taking on
>python as a second language to java in the hope of improving my

resume.

For your specific purpose of learning a language to get a job, I
suggest visiting the site http://mshiltonj.com/sm/categories/languages/
, where it appears that Python is mentioned about as often as Fortran
or Ada in job listings at dice.com . Apart from Java, two languages in
demand are C++ and Visual Basic. C++ may be easier to learn along with
Java since the syntax is similar, but VB is a very easy language to
learn and use.

beliavsky@aol.com

OTOH,

Here are the numbers for Average Salary by Languages Used (2 numbers,
staff and management) in ascending order from the 2004 Salary Survey
from Software Development Magazine. I am surprised that there is so
little variation across languages: 13 out of 22 are in the $81-$85K
range. But Python IS tied for first. This may indicate that the
relatively small number of jobs listing Python as a requirement is due
in part to a relatively small supply of Python programmers, not lack of
demand for such programmers.

Delphi/Object Pascal $76K $96K
Cobol $76K $95K
EDI $78K $98K
..NET $79K $98K
Oracle/SQL Server/Sybase/database $80K $100K
SAP/PeopleSoft/Oracle/ERP $81K $100K
C# $81K $100K
Perl/Javascript/PHP/scripting $81K $100K
Lotus Notes/groupware $82K $101K
Java $83K $102K
Fortran $83K $102K
C++ $84K $103K
JavaBeans/ActiveX/component $84K $101K
C $84K $104K
Ada $84K $105K
Biztalk/Crossworlds/bus. integration $84K $99K
SOAP $85K $103K
J2EE $85K $105K
CORBA/COM/middleware $87K $106K
J2ME $88K $104K