Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Developing Commercial Applications in Python

Developing Commercial Applications in Python

Stephen Waterbury

It's me wrote:
> Shaw-PTI (www.pti-us.com) uses Python in their software.

.... but the "Python Powered" logo is conspicuous by its
absence from their site. Too bad that some commercial
exploiters of Python don't advertise that fact more often.
Every little bit helps!

Steve

Roy Smith

Stephen Waterbury <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Shaw-PTI (www.pti-us.com) uses Python in their software.

>... but the "Python Powered" logo is conspicuous by its
>absence from their site. Too bad that some commercial
>exploiters of Python don't advertise that fact more often.

Companies use all sorts of technologies to produce their products. I
have no idea who Shaw-PTI is or what they do, but I'm sure they also
use other languages, and web servers, and operating systems, and
telephones and office furniture and pencil sharpeners. They're all
just tools. You don't expect a company to waste space on their web
site advertising which brand of pencil sharpener they use, so why
would you expect they would do so for a programming language?

Sometimes you see web sites with "Powered by IBM" or "Powered by Sun"
or whatever. I'm sure behind every one of those is a deal cut with
the supplier to promote their name in return for some favorable terms
on a contract.

Steve Holden

> Hello All,
> I am trying to convince my client to use Python in his new product. He
> is worried about the license issues. Can somebody there to point me any
> good commercial applications developed using python ?. The licence
> clearly says Python can be used for commercial applications. Is there
> any other implications like that of GPL to make the source open ?
> Thanks for any help.
> eeykay

No. The Python license explicitly allows you to distribute derived works
(i.e. Python applications including the standard compiler, or modified
versions of the compiler) without obliging you to disclose the source
code in the way that the GPL does.

The only obligation the license places on you are

a) You must retain the original copyright notices and
b) If you *do* distribute modified versions, you must include a brief
description of your modifications.

I believe the Python License Version 2, as found at

http://www.python.org/moin/PythonSof...nLicenseV2Easy

is about as simple as a license can get, yet still the Foundation
receives inquiries from people whose lawyers are unconvinced there are
no hidden problems. Of course, IANAL, so the lawyers could be right, but
at least the INTENT is pretty obvious.

Also beware if you plan to use "The Python License" for your own
software, and read

http://www.python.org/moin/PythonSof...tionLicenseFaq

if you are thinking of doing so. Of course, there are many contributions
which were licensed to the Foundation for inclusion in the distribution.
The Foundation is currently in the process of regularizing the "license
stack" thus created, by negotiating with individual contributors to
ensure that a compatible license is initially granted to the PSF.

Nothing is currently believed to prohibit the Foundation from licensing
current releases on the terms that it does, but I should include a
disclaimer that this is *not* an official statement from the
Foundation, rather an explanation from one of its directors (an
all-too-fallible human being) about what's lately been happening in the
licensing space.

regards
Steve
--
Steve Holden http://www.holdenweb.com/
Holden Web LLC +1 703 861 4237 +1 800 494 3119

Christophe Cavalaria

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Hello All,
> I am trying to convince my client to use Python in his new product. He
> is worried about the license issues. Can somebody there to point me any
> good commercial applications developed using python ?. The licence
> clearly says Python can be used for commercial applications. Is there
> any other implications like that of GPL to make the source open ?
> Thanks for any help.
> eeykay

Troika games use Python in their games. It seems you can even get the
source .py files for Vampires: Bloodlines

Mike Meyer

"It's me" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Well, now that they are API based, they can easily add any script language
> they so wish through SWIG (www.swig.org).
>
> Maybe not LISP. SNOBOL would be the right thing to do. (*NOT*)

SWIG generates wrappers for GUILE, which is Scheme, which looks enough
like LISP to fool most people. It's the GNU extensible embeddable
language.

<mike

Nick Vargish

(E-Mail Removed) writes:

> Can somebody there to point me any good commercial applications
> developed using python ?

Python is used in several games, including Temple of Elemental Evil
and the forthcoming Civilization 4. Humungous Games, which makes
software for children, is also using Python. Sorry if games would give
your boss the wrong impression...

Most commercial software houses don't advertise details of their
development platforms.

Nick

--
# sigmask || 0.2 || 20030107 || public domain || feed this to a python
print reduce(lambda x,y+chr(ord(y)-1),' Ojdl!Wbshjti!=obwAcboefstobudi/psh?')

Stephen Waterbury

Nick Vargish wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) writes:
>
>>Can somebody there to point me any good commercial applications
>>developed using python ?

> Python is used in several games ...

Also see Python Success Stories: http://pythonology.org/success

A notable example is Verity's search engine -- see
http://python.oreilly.com/news/PythonSS.pdf

Steve

Duncan Booth

Nick Vargish wrote:

> (E-Mail Removed) writes:
>
>> Can somebody there to point me any good commercial applications
>> developed using python ?

> Python is used in several games, including Temple of Elemental Evil
> and the forthcoming Civilization 4. Humungous Games, which makes
> software for children, is also using Python. Sorry if games would give
> your boss the wrong impression...

Also "Startrek Bridge Commander", and "Uru: Ages beyond Myst".

Steve Hughes

>>>Can somebody there to point me any good commercial applications
>>>developed using python ?

Yet another game but it's a huge one with a massive DB behind it.

http://www.eve-online.com

--
Steve Hughes

Nick Coghlan

Stephen Waterbury wrote:
> A notable example is Verity's search engine -- see
> http://python.oreilly.com/news/PythonSS.pdf

Not to mention the kind words of the current reigning king of the search engine
world. . .

Cheers,
Nick.

--
Nick Coghlan | (E-Mail Removed) | Brisbane, Australia
http://boredomandlaziness.skystorm.net