python tool/library that could automate the blog postings. Any ideas?

Some details:
* the summaries are basically just text files
* I already have a blog at www.blogger.com
(http://markcarterturriff.blogspot.com/), so I would like to use that if
possible; although any alternative free one that I can use to achieve my
objective would be OK, too.
* I do have my own hosted website, which can use perl but not python;
but I'd rather use a freebie blog site
* the whole thing must be scriptable, because it will run daily. A GUI
would therefore likely get in the way.
* generating an RSS feed would be nice

Premshree Pillai

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 13:14:23 +0000, Mark Carter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I currently use python to automatically summarise a certain newsgroup
> daily, and post the findings that it makes. Someone has suggested that
> they would like a to see a blog of the posts. I wondered if there was a
> python tool/library that could automate the blog postings. Any ideas?
>
> Some details:
> * the summaries are basically just text files
> * I already have a blog at www.blogger.com
> (http://markcarterturriff.blogspot.com/), so I would like to use that if
> possible; although any alternative free one that I can use to achieve my
> objective would be OK, too.

You can use the Blogger API to post to your Blogger account. There's a
Python interface to the API -- PyBlogger -- available here:
http://beetle.cbtlsl.com/archives/category/pyblogger

You could also use a free service like LiveJournal
(http://www.livejournal.com/). There are several clients available to
post to LJ. I don't know if a Python wrapper to post is available or
not. IAC, it'd be a few lines of code to make the XML-RPC calls. The
protocol docs are available here:
http://www.livejournal.com/doc/serve....protocol.html

HTH
> * I do have my own hosted website, which can use perl but not python;
> but I'd rather use a freebie blog site
> * the whole thing must be scriptable, because it will run daily. A GUI
> would therefore likely get in the way.
> * generating an RSS feed would be nice

Premshree Pillai
http://www.livejournal.com/~premshree

Mark Carter

Premshree Pillai wrote:

> You can use the Blogger API to post to your Blogger account. There's a
> Python interface to the API -- PyBlogger -- available here:
> http://beetle.cbtlsl.com/archives/category/pyblogger

Hey, it Just Works! I got the whole basic thing working in a few
minutes. It was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the link.

Daniel Bickett

There's actually a very simple way to achieve this. In your blogger
settings you can specify an email address to which you can email blog
posts. Using this, you can simply mail the content from within your
python script. I think that's probably the most hassle-free way.

Blogger help article: http://help.blogger.com/bin/answer.py?answer=135

Daniel Bickett