Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > OT: spacing of code in Google Groups

OT: spacing of code in Google Groups

Grant Edwards

On 2005-01-06, Steve Holden <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Peter Hansen wrote:
>
> [...]
>>
>> But the whole argument is fairly moot... I've needed a rectangle
>> operation only once in the last ten years, and if I hadn't known at
>> the time that my editor could do it (and spent about half an hour
>> figuring out how it worked), I could have written a utility to
>> do the job faster if I'd been using Python at the time...

> Or even used cut(1) from the command line.

IIRC, that was the first thing suggested. Using rectangular
operations in an editor was a ways down the list of alternatives.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Is this ANYWHERE,
at USA?

Peter Hansen

Steve Holden wrote:
> Peter Hansen wrote:
>> But the whole argument is fairly moot... I've needed a rectangle
>> operation only once in the last ten years, and if I hadn't known at
>> the time that my editor could do it (and spent about half an hour
>> figuring out how it worked), I could have written a utility to
>> do the job faster if I'd been using Python at the time...

> Or even used cut(1) from the command line.

Or myybe not

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

c:\>cut
'cut' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

-Peter

Grant Edwards

On 2005-01-06, Peter Hansen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Steve Holden wrote:
>> Peter Hansen wrote:
>>> But the whole argument is fairly moot... I've needed a rectangle
>>> operation only once in the last ten years, and if I hadn't known at
>>> the time that my editor could do it (and spent about half an hour
>>> figuring out how it worked), I could have written a utility to
>>> do the job faster if I'd been using Python at the time...

>> Or even used cut(1) from the command line.

> Or myybe not
>
> Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
> (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
>
> c:\>

That's not a command line.

> 'cut' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> operable program or batch file.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! I am having FUN... I
at wonder if it's NET FUN or

Alex Martelli

Peter Hansen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Jacek Generowicz wrote:
> > Peter Hansen <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> >>Why the heck would I ever have to do "rectangle operations" on a
> >>regular basis?

> > Well, given that all editors are cat equivalent[*], you don't _have_
> > to use any of their features

> This "cat equivalent" thing is a red-herring. I can rarely type more

I tried offering a red herring to my cat to check this out, and, sure
enough, she indignantly refused it and miaowed loudly for less smelly
food. So, you may have a point here.

Alex

Peter Hansen

Alex Martelli wrote:
> Peter Hansen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>This "cat equivalent" thing is a red-herring. I can rarely type more

> I tried offering a red herring to my cat to check this out, and, sure
> enough, she indignantly refused it and miaowed loudly for less smelly
> food. So, you may have a point here.

Going totally off-topic (except for those who define anything
that ridicules Bill Gates as inherently on-topic), just as
I read your reply I saw the following two "related" articles
as I was reading some news online:

On red herrings (and silly Bill screwing up another demo):
http://www.redherring.com/Article.as...ctor=Companies

On cats (bouncing dead ones, anyway):
http://yahoo.reuters.com/financeQuot...6358600_newsml

(My reticular formation must be working fine today...)

-Peter

Jacek Generowicz

Peter Hansen <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Jacek Generowicz wrote:
> > Peter Hansen <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> >>Why the heck would I ever have to do "rectangle operations" on a
> >>regular basis?

> > Well, given that all editors are cat equivalent[*], you don't _have_
> > to use any of their features

> This "cat equivalent" thing is a red-herring. I can rarely type more
> than a line of code without making a typographical error. Sometimes
> I won't catch that error until a bit later. Using "cat" alone would
> provide me little opportunity to fix the error, so I would never
> be able to produce a working program longer than a few lines.

And have you ever tried to write a serious program on a Turing Machine?

This is exactly my point: Turing Equivalence is only theoretical. In
practise some languages are more powerful than others. Same goes for
editors.

> But the whole argument is fairly moot... I've needed a rectangle
> operation only once in the last ten years,

Whereas I use rectangle operations, on average, a few times every day
.... because they are part of my standard toolbox, they suggest
themselves as the right solution to many a problem.

There are plenty of programmers out there who "have only needed
classes once in the last ten years".

More powerful editors, just like more powerful languages, can make
their users more productive. Complicated editors, just like
complicated programming languages, can make their users less
productive[*]. The optimal point in complexity-expressiveness space
will be different for different individuals, be it for editors or
programming languages.

[*] I suspect that there are a few around here who would interpret
this as an indictment against the direction in which Python is
going

JanC

Peter Hansen schreef:

> Steve Holden wrote:
>
>> Or even used cut(1) from the command line.

> Or myybe not
>
> Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
> (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
>
> c:\>cut
> 'cut' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> operable program or batch file.

Microsoft Windows 2000 [versie 5.00.2195]
(C) Copyright 1985-2000 Microsoft Corp.

C:\>cut
cut: u moet een lijst van bytes, tekens, of velden geven
Probeer `cut --help' voor meer informatie.

Seems to work just fine...

Have a look at: <http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/>
They have native win32 builds of many of the GNU commandline utilities...

--
JanC

Peter Hansen

JanC wrote:
> Have a look at: <http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/>
> They have native win32 builds of many of the GNU commandline utilities...

Thanks, everyone, for all your kind help.

(Uh, I thought it was clear I didn't actually *want* a
method of cutting columns, since I have needed the
functionality once in the last ten years, but on behalf
of those who do what it and didn't know how to get it,
I give you thanks.

-quite-happy-with-simple-editors-and-a-command-line-ly y'rs,
Peter

=?iso-8859-1?B?VG9taSBI5HPk?=

Dan Bishop wrote:

> And for a long time, Google groups postings *were* whitespace
> significant. But the new interface broke it.
>
> > I made a complaint several weeks ago to Google support,
> > asking them too quit stripping leading whitespace,
> > and the sent me a reply saying they appreciated my feedback.
> > Maybe they just need more feedback

> I send them some earlier today. So far, I've only received
> their auto-reply.

Removing and adding spaces discussed in the Google Groups Beta group
also:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...ad25b58d5dbb49
http://tinyurl.com/6oe6v
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...c0544e3b08a1cd