Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > PyQT installation

PyQT installation

Nanoscalesoft

hello all,
I am planning to start coding a nanoscale design software in
python with QT interface.I have to do this in windows or linux.Intially
windows would be fine.
I have struggled almost full day today trying to make
from import qt *
execute...........................I have the basic python core. I went
through the sites like riverbankcomputing and trolltech and few online
pages and books which talk about PyQT but never say about their
installation step properly.
I need to know step by step what shud i do.I have also installed
the windows binary of PyQT from riverbank and have ordered a QTdesigner
CD.But i can't wait.I need to do this fast.(Is there any other thing i
have to do)
Any clean and clear cut info in linux or windows( as I hope this
as the groups standard to be) would help me start my nanoscale project
or otherwise i have to rethink the GUI..Common QT is my favourite i
need my project work to be done on my favourite thing.

regards,
Charles

(doing an example program wud be a welcome sweeet)

Phil Thompson

On Thursday 30 December 2004 1:27 am, Nanoscalesoft wrote:
> hello all,
> I am planning to start coding a nanoscale design software in
> python with QT interface.I have to do this in windows or linux.Intially
> windows would be fine.
> I have struggled almost full day today trying to make
> from import qt *
> execute...........................I have the basic python core. I went
> through the sites like riverbankcomputing and trolltech and few online
> pages and books which talk about PyQT but never say about their
> installation step properly.
> I need to know step by step what shud i do.I have also installed
> the windows binary of PyQT from riverbank and have ordered a QTdesigner
> CD.But i can't wait.I need to do this fast.(Is there any other thing i
> have to do)
> Any clean and clear cut info in linux or windows( as I hope this
> as the groups standard to be) would help me start my nanoscale project
> or otherwise i have to rethink the GUI..Common QT is my favourite i
> need my project work to be done on my favourite thing.

Exactly what versions of Python, Qt and PyQt have you installed?

Phil

Nanoscalesoft

hi phil...
py-->2.4
pyqt-->3.3
qt-->2.3.0

Phil Thompson

On Thursday 30 December 2004 2:34 pm, Nanoscalesoft wrote:
> hi phil...
> py-->2.4
> pyqt-->3.3

I assume you mean PyQt-win-nc-msvc-3.13.exe

> qt-->2.3.0

I assume you mean the non-commercial edition.

The binaries are built against Python 2.3.3 - Python 2.4 won't work. Python
2.4 (and later) will never be supported by the non-commercial edition because
of the MSVC 6 vs 7 issue.

Phil

Steve Holden

Phil Thompson wrote:

> On Thursday 30 December 2004 2:34 pm, Nanoscalesoft wrote:
>
>>hi phil...
>>py-->2.4
>>pyqt-->3.3

> I assume you mean PyQt-win-nc-msvc-3.13.exe
>

>>qt-->2.3.0

> I assume you mean the non-commercial edition.
>
> The binaries are built against Python 2.3.3 - Python 2.4 won't work. Python
> 2.4 (and later) will never be supported by the non-commercial edition because
> of the MSVC 6 vs 7 issue.
>
> Phil

If that is a real *never* then Qt just fell behind in the "what's the
best GUI platform" stakes. It'd be a shame to lose PyQT, but if there's
no way to migrate it forwards it will atrophy and die. Have TrollTech
said they will never issue MSVC 7 binaries?

Is there no way to use the free Microsoft toolchain to compile, or do
the language differences just make the whole deal too difficult (or is
there some other show-stopper that my ignorance prevents me from seeing?).

regards
Steve
--
Steve Holden http://www.holdenweb.com/
Holden Web LLC +1 703 861 4237 +1 800 494 3119

Jorge Luiz Godoy Filho

Steve Holden, Quinta 30 Dezembro 2004 14:13, wrote:

> If that is a real *never* then Qt just fell behind in the "what's the
> best GUI platform" stakes. It'd be a shame to lose PyQT, but if there's
> no way to migrate it forwards it will atrophy and die. Have TrollTech
> said they will never issue MSVC 7 binaries?

"non-commercial" binaries he said... I hope it is just the non-commercial
really, 'cause the look & feel of Qt is very nice.

> Is there no way to use the free Microsoft toolchain to compile, or do
> the language differences just make the whole deal too difficult (or is
> there some other show-stopper that my ignorance prevents me from seeing?).

Isn't it possible to compile everything with a free compiler? I'm not a
Windows user, but...

--
Godoy. <(E-Mail Removed)>

Phil Thompson

On Thursday 30 December 2004 4:13 pm, Steve Holden wrote:
> Phil Thompson wrote:
> > On Thursday 30 December 2004 2:34 pm, Nanoscalesoft wrote:
> >>hi phil...
> >>py-->2.4
> >>pyqt-->3.3

> > I assume you mean PyQt-win-nc-msvc-3.13.exe
> >
> >>qt-->2.3.0

> > I assume you mean the non-commercial edition.
> >
> > The binaries are built against Python 2.3.3 - Python 2.4 won't work.
> > Python 2.4 (and later) will never be supported by the non-commercial
> > edition because of the MSVC 6 vs 7 issue.
> >
> > Phil

> If that is a real *never* then Qt just fell behind in the "what's the
> best GUI platform" stakes. It'd be a shame to lose PyQT, but if there's
> no way to migrate it forwards it will atrophy and die. Have TrollTech
> said they will never issue MSVC 7 binaries?
>
> Is there no way to use the free Microsoft toolchain to compile, or do
> the language differences just make the whole deal too difficult (or is
> there some other show-stopper that my ignorance prevents me from seeing?).

You've completely misunderstood what I said.

I specifically said the non-commercial edition. This is a binary only version
based on Qt v2.3 and released in March 2001 - the first beta of Qt v4.0 has
just been released. The commercial and GPL versions of Qt is supplied in
source form and supports MSVC 6, 7, Borland, Cygwin and the Intel compiler.
PyQt supports all versions of Python since v1.5.2.

I think Qt is doing very well in the "best GUI platform" stakes if people
still want to use a 4 year old version in preference to up to date versions
of the alternatives.

Phil

Nanoscalesoft

does that mean PyQT is not forward!!!!!!!! What a bad thing is this...

Steve Holden

Phil Thompson wrote:

> On Thursday 30 December 2004 4:13 pm, Steve Holden wrote:
>
>>Phil Thompson wrote:

>>>I assume you mean PyQt-win-nc-msvc-3.13.exe

>>>I assume you mean the non-commercial edition.
>>>
>>>The binaries are built against Python 2.3.3 - Python 2.4 won't work.
>>>Python 2.4 (and later) will never be supported by the non-commercial
>>>edition because of the MSVC 6 vs 7 issue.
>>>
>>>Phil

>>If that is a real *never* then Qt just fell behind in the "what's the
>>best GUI platform" stakes. It'd be a shame to lose PyQT, but if there's
>>no way to migrate it forwards it will atrophy and die. Have TrollTech
>>said they will never issue MSVC 7 binaries?
>>
>>Is there no way to use the free Microsoft toolchain to compile, or do
>>the language differences just make the whole deal too difficult (or is
>>there some other show-stopper that my ignorance prevents me from seeing?).

> You've completely misunderstood what I said.

And not for the first time, probably. Mea culpa.

> I specifically said the non-commercial edition. This is a binary only version
> based on Qt v2.3 and released in March 2001 - the first beta of Qt v4.0 has
> just been released. The commercial and GPL versions of Qt is supplied in
> source form and supports MSVC 6, 7, Borland, Cygwin and the Intel compiler.
> PyQt supports all versions of Python since v1.5.2.

Well, OK, so I take it this means that TrollTech have announced they
won't be producing an up to date non-commercial edition?

I presume the non-commercial edition is for people who want to use Qt
but don't want to pay licensing fees or open their source? Or is the GPL
version only available on non-Windows platforms? Of all the GUI
platforms I know about, Qt certainly has the murkiest licensing picture.

> I think Qt is doing very well in the "best GUI platform" stakes if people
> still want to use a 4 year old version in preference to up to date versions
> of the alternatives.

I have no quibble with that - as I know, there are a lot of happy Qt
users, and it has an interestingly different architecture. It would be
even better if the licensing requirements were consistent across all
platforms.

and-if-wishes-were-horses-ly y'rs - steve
--
Steve Holden http://www.holdenweb.com/
Holden Web LLC +1 703 861 4237 +1 800 494 3119

Jarek Zgoda

Nanoscalesoft wrote:

> does that mean PyQT is not forward!!!!!!!! What a bad thing is this...

Whoa, how did you get it?

You can buy commercial licenses and be as current as we are on Linux
with GPL versions of Qt+PyQt. Oh, and QScintilla and Eric3!

--
Jarek Zgoda
http://jpa.berlios.de/ | http://www.zgodowie.org/