Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Why tuples use parentheses ()'s instead of something else like <>'s?

Why tuples use parentheses ()'s instead of something else like <>'s?

seberino@spawar.navy.mil

Brian

I am so thankful for your reply and for Alex's and everyone else's on
this thread. (See my reply to Alex.) This email may seem minor but it
was bugging me for months. You just
pointed out what I should have remembered on my own...

*<>'s wouldn't have been a perfect choice because they would have had
their
own unique gotchas involving accidentally interpreting them as binary
shift operators*

I really appreciate it.

Chris

Grant Edwards

On 2004-12-29, Dan Sommers <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> They're guillemets (with an "e"); this is a [relatively] well-known
> Adobe SNAFU.

Ah. Googling for "guillemots punctuation" did turn up enough
hits that it didn't occur to me that I was using the wrong
spelling.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow!
at TAILFINS!!... click...

Steve Holden

Dan Sommers wrote:

> On 29 Dec 2004 21:03:59 GMT,
> Grant Edwards <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>Well,
>>>
>>>(1,1,2,3,5) »+« (1,2,3,5,; # results in (2,3,5,8,13)

>>I was pretty sure that « and » were guillmots, but google sure
>>preferred the sea bird when I asked it.

> They're guillemets (with an "e"); this is a [relatively] well-known
> Adobe SNAFU. (A quick google search or two failed to find an
> authoritative reference, but I know that such references are out there
> somewhere.)
>
> Regards,
> Dan

Adobe recorded their error in the Red Book errata, but electronic
admissions of the same error are apparently impossible to come by.

regards
Steve
--
Steve Holden http://www.holdenweb.com/
Holden Web LLC +1 703 861 4237 +1 800 494 3119

Aahz

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Roy Smith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Looks more like a smiley for "guy wearing a bowtie"

You know Ben Yalow?

"19. A language that doesn't affect the way you think about programming,
is not worth knowing." --Alan Perlis

Jeff Shannon

John Roth wrote:

> "Roy Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> If Python had originally been invented in a unicode world, I suppose we
>> wouldn't have this problem. We'd just be using guillemots for tuples
>> (and have keyboards which made it easy to type them).

> I suppose the forces of darkness will forever keep Python from
> requiring utf-8 as the source encoding. If I didn't make a fetish
> of trying to see the good in everybody's position, I could really
> work up a dislike of the notion that you should be able to use
> any old text editor for Python source.

It's not so much the desire to be able to use any old text editor that
keeps Python in ASCII, it's the desire to use any old *hardware*.
Keyboards with guillemots are not exactly a worldwide norm, and needing
to remember and type some arcane alt-keycode formula to be able to do
basic scripting would be obnoxious, to say the least. Most keyboards
worldwide provide decent support for the ASCII character set (though
some add a few extra national characters). Perhaps things will change
when a majority of the world's programmers use a non-Roman alphabet /
character set, but even then there's a significant weight of historical
reasons to overcome.

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer
Credit International

Roy Smith

In article <cqvd3u$p9e$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Aahz)
wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Roy Smith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >Looks more like a smiley for "guy wearing a bowtie"

> You know Ben Yalow?

I once had a physics professor named Aaron Yalow, but I can't say I know
any Ben Yalow.

Aahz

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Roy Smith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>In article <cqvd3u$p9e$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) (Aahz)
>wrote:
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> Roy Smith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>Looks more like a smiley for "guy wearing a bowtie"

>> You know Ben Yalow?

>I once had a physics professor named Aaron Yalow, but I can't say I know
>any Ben Yalow.

Heh. Someone in NYC fandom known for wearing a bowtie.

And "fandom" of course refers to "science fiction fandom"

Roy Smith

In article <cqvoc8$ro1$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) (Aahz)
wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Roy Smith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >In article <cqvd3u$p9e$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) (Aahz)
> >wrote:

> >> You know Ben Yalow?

> >I once had a physics professor named Aaron Yalow, but I can't say I know
> >any Ben Yalow.

> Heh. Someone in NYC fandom known for wearing a bowtie.

Interesting. It would appear that Ben's father was my physics professor
(http://www.meetingnews.com/meetingne...ay.jsp?vnu_con
tent_id=1749837). I do not recall what style of neckwear he favored.

Small world, huh?

Ed Leafe

On Dec 29, 2004, at 3:38 PM, Rocco Moretti wrote:

> So to summarize:
>
> Commas define tuples, except when they don't, and parentheses are only
> required when they are necessary.

Exactly! Now can we clear anything else up for you?

___/
/
__/
/
____/
Ed Leafe
http://leafe.com/
http://dabodev.com/

Nick Coghlan

Ed Leafe wrote:
> Exactly! Now can we clear anything else up for you?

How about a computer program than can correctly count the number of letter E's
in your signature?

Cheers,
Nick.
I like the sig, if you hadn't guessed. . .

--
Nick Coghlan | (E-Mail Removed) | Brisbane, Australia
http://boredomandlaziness.skystorm.net