Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Is it possible to open a dbf

Is it possible to open a dbf

John Fabiani

Hi,
I'm wondering if there is a module available that will open a dbf (actually
sco foxpro 2.6) file under linux. Hopefully it will be DAPI 2.0 but I'll
accept anything at this point.

John

Paul Rubin

John Fabiani <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> I'm wondering if there is a module available that will open a dbf (actually
> sco foxpro 2.6) file under linux. Hopefully it will be DAPI 2.0 but I'll
> accept anything at this point.

Yes, there is, I found such a thing with a minute or so of Google
searching when I needed one a while back. I don't have the url any
more but I'm sure you can find it the same way I did.

John Fabiani

Paul Rubin wrote:

> John Fabiani <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> I'm wondering if there is a module available that will open a dbf
>> (actually
>> sco foxpro 2.6) file under linux. Hopefully it will be DAPI 2.0 but I'll
>> accept anything at this point.

> Yes, there is, I found such a thing with a minute or so of Google
> searching when I needed one a while back. I don't have the url any
> more but I'm sure you can find it the same way I did.

So far (more than a minute) I have discovered a reader only. So if you have
a URL or a search string it would be very helpful.
TIA
John

Miklós P

> Paul Rubin wrote:
>
> > John Fabiani <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> >> I'm wondering if there is a module available that will open a dbf

> So far (more than a minute) I have discovered a reader only. So if you

have
> a URL or a search string it would be very helpful.

> TIA
> John

Yes, "dBase Python" yields only some code for reading dBase ... and lots of
enquires about such a thing...

Miklós

---
Jegenye 2001 Bt.
Egyedi szoftverkészítés, tanácsadás | Custom software development,
consulting
Magyarul: http://jegenye2001.parkhosting.com
In English: http://jegenye2001.parkhosting.com/en

Helmut Jarausch

Miklós P wrote:
>>Paul Rubin wrote:

>>So far (more than a minute) I have discovered a reader only. So if you

> have
>
>>a URL or a search string it would be very helpful.

>>TIA
>>John

> Yes, "dBase Python" yields only some code for reading dBase ... and lots of
> enquires about such a thing...

I've been using
http://www.fiby.at/dbfpy/
without any problems including writing/modifying dbf files.

--
Helmut Jarausch

Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik
RWTH - Aachen University
D 52056 Aachen, Germany

Ed Leafe

On Jan 3, 2005, at 11:55 AM, Helmut Jarausch wrote:

> I've been using
> http://www.fiby.at/dbfpy/
> without any problems including writing/modifying dbf files.

The problem, of course, is that there is no single DBF format. The
only product out there that still uses DBFs, Visual FoxPro, supports 3
separate and incompatible formats: 2.x, 3.0, and later. What's more,
the later versions introduced new data types, so even those are not
compatible with older formats.

Because VFP has not fallen off the face of the earth, but instead has
continued to thrive, it has added things such as auto-increment fields
and BLOB support that were never even envisioned by the folks at JPL
when they created Vulcan. As a result, there is no single DBF reader
that can read all DBF files.

___/
/
__/