Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > WxListBox

WxListBox

LutherRevisited

I'm wanting to put a listbox in the place of a textctrl I'm using in my
application because I'm running out of space in my textctrl. The online
documentation is down at wxpython.org so I have no idea how to construct this
control or anything. Can someone help me out. Here's what I'm doing with the
WxTextCtrl:

self.text_ctrl_4 = wx.TextCtrl(self, -1, "", style=wx.TE_MULTILINE)
sizer_1.Add(self.text_ctrl_4, 6, wx.LEFT|wx.RIGHT|wx.EXPAND, 80)
self.text_ctrl_4.AppendText(str(count) + '\t\t' + str(address) + '\t\t'
+ str(pageNumber) + '\t\t' + str(pageArray[pageNumber, 1]) +'\r\n')

I'm wanting to implement something similar with a listbox, any thoughts?

Steve Holden

LutherRevisited wrote:

> I'm wanting to put a listbox in the place of a textctrl I'm using in my
> application because I'm running out of space in my textctrl. The online
> documentation is down at wxpython.org so I have no idea how to construct this
> control or anything. Can someone help me out. Here's what I'm doing with the
> WxTextCtrl:
>
> self.text_ctrl_4 = wx.TextCtrl(self, -1, "", style=wx.TE_MULTILINE)
> sizer_1.Add(self.text_ctrl_4, 6, wx.LEFT|wx.RIGHT|wx.EXPAND, 80)
> self.text_ctrl_4.AppendText(str(count) + '\t\t' + str(address) + '\t\t'
> + str(pageNumber) + '\t\t' + str(pageArray[pageNumber, 1]) +'\r\n')
>
> I'm wanting to implement something similar with a listbox, any thoughts?

Well, my *first* thought was "Isn't a listbox supposed to allow choice
between alternative? How can that substitute for what looks like a very
complex text input?"

My second thought was "It's not very helpful to use a name like
'text_ctrl_4' in the code".

I'm also not really sure what the double-tabs are supposed to do.

Perhaps you could explain exactly what you'd like your program to do
here, as at present it's not even clear whether this code is intended to
act as input as well as output? What's wrong with what happens now, and
how would you like to change it?

regards
Steve
--
Steve Holden http://www.holdenweb.com/
Holden Web LLC +1 703 861 4237 +1 800 494 3119

M.E.Farmer

I think he is using an GUI editor wxGlade or BOA.
He has two problems he is trying to figure out wxPython
and he is trying to figure out his drag and drop editor.
On top of that he seems to be having a design problem.
I am gonna let him stew in it, it will be good for him
He will get more out of it.
hint: SEARCH GOOGLE / READ DOCS / WRITE CODE
Ahh the joy of learning frameworks.(and GUI editors)
M.E.Farmer

John Machin

M.E.Farmer wrote:
> I think he is using an GUI editor wxGlade or BOA.
> He has two problems he is trying to figure out wxPython
> and he is trying to figure out his drag and drop editor.
> On top of that he seems to be having a design problem.
> I am gonna let him stew in it, it will be good for him
> He will get more out of it.
> hint: SEARCH GOOGLE / READ DOCS / WRITE CODE
> Ahh the joy of learning frameworks.(and GUI editors)
> M.E.Farmer

No, 4 problems:

"""wxpython.org's onlinedocs are down right now so bear with me""" =>
hasn't downloaded the off-line docs.

Typing in "wxlistbox" on the index tab of the win32 version of the
off-line docs (wx.chm) takes one straight to:

"""wxListBox
A listbox is used to select one or more of a list of strings.
"""
i.e. Steve Holden's point, that wxListBox seems an unlikely choice.

I generally tend to agree with the "let him stew" but inevitably
someone will answer the question with a level of tedious detail
exceeded only by that of the manual for the Holy Grenade of Antioch,
instead of showing/telling the newbies how to find their own answers.

LutherRevisited

This was the aforementioned doublepost guys, thanks for all the help though.
At that point I was using WxGlade if you were wondering, that's why my controls
have such funny names, glade did it!..lol I've since then got my gui to a
point where I can live with it, other than the sizing problem when a scroll bar
appears, don't believe that will ever be satisfactorily solved. You can either
make everything fit perfectly, then it no longer fits when the vertical scroll
appears causing you to need a horizontal scroll bar, or have it not fit as well
to accomodate the horizontal scroll, or write a function to resize your columns
appropriately when needed. None of those solutions is very appealing visually
to me, so I'm just gonna let that one slide. Now if there's a "plan B" on
resizing columns in a listctrl somebody tell me, because I can't think of any
other way.