Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Non blocking read from stdin on windows.

Non blocking read from stdin on windows.

barr

Hi
Can any one help.

I am trying to write a python scipt that takes input as args and/or as piped
input ( possibly the output of another program).

I want to read stdin ( the piped in stuuff ) whcih might be empty without
the script blocking if it is empty.

I understand it is possible to do under unix with the select call. Can some
one please explain how to do this in windows.

thanks in advance.

Barr

Noam Raphael

You can always have a thread which continually reads stdin and stores it
in a string, or better, in a cStringIO.StringIO object. Then in the main
thread, you can check whether something new has arrived. This, of course
will work on all platforms.

I hope this helped a bit,
Noam