Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Securing connection

Securing connection

=?Utf-8?B?QWtzaGF5?=

Hi,

I am running XP (SP2) on my laptop and my desktop PC and I have another
Win98 PC all sharing one wireless connection separately. They are not
connected and I do not wish to connect them as it's too much hassle. How can
I secure my wireless connection so that only these three computers can access
the internet independently but still ensure other computers do not connect to
my connection? Thanks in advance.

Jack

Hi

May be this can Help, Wireless Security -

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Akshay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I am running XP (SP2) on my laptop and my desktop PC and I have another
> Win98 PC all sharing one wireless connection separately. They are not
> connected and I do not wish to connect them as it's too much hassle. How
> can
> I secure my wireless connection so that only these three computers can
> access
> the internet independently but still ensure other computers do not connect
> my connection? Thanks in advance.

=?Utf-8?B?QWtzaGF5?=

Thanks. I had a look at it and none of it makes sense. I have no software
that came with the router. I'm a total dumbass when it comes to wireless

"Jack" wrote:

> Hi
>
> May be this can Help, Wireless Security -
> http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
>
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "Akshay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am running XP (SP2) on my laptop and my desktop PC and I have another
> > Win98 PC all sharing one wireless connection separately. They are not
> > connected and I do not wish to connect them as it's too much hassle. How
> > can
> > I secure my wireless connection so that only these three computers can
> > access
> > the internet independently but still ensure other computers do not connect
> > my connection? Thanks in advance.

Malke

Akshay wrote:

> Thanks. I had a look at it and none of it makes sense. I have no software
> that came with the router. I'm a total dumbass when it comes to wireless
>

> "Jack" wrote:

>> May be this can Help, Wireless Security -
>> http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html

You don't need special software. Go to the router's configuration screen by
entering its address in a browser's addressbar. For ex., for a Linksys
router you would enter http://192.168.1.1 [enter]. Then enter the username
and password you used when you set up the router. If you didn't change the
username/password from the default, refer to your router manual for details
or look up the manual on the router mftr.'s website.

Once in, go to the wireless settings. Change the SSID from the default to
something recognizable. IOW, if it says "Linksys" change the name of the
SSID (which is your wireless network) to something else. Then go to the
wireless security settings. All hardware must be able to use the same
encryption. IOW, if all the wireless adapters in your computers can use
WPA, use that. If you have an older adapter in one of your computers,
you'll have to use WEP. WEP is better than nothing. Save your settings and
go to the wireless adapter managers on each computer and enter the
encryption key.

That's all there is to it. If you find this too hard, have a professional
come over and set you up. It is a very simple job and should not be too
expensive.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User