Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Cisco CallManager

Cisco CallManager

cristi

Hi,
I am new to the entire IP telephony/Cisco products but I am working on our
intranet site. Some of the things I would like to do is a sort of
"Contacts" functionality on our intranet where I would like to query the
"VoIP ?!" server for the telephone numbers active.
I have tried getting some more details about the server from the IT Manager
but his knowledge seems to be very limited regarding the system in place
and as a result he takes a defencive attitude, gives me some monosyllabic
answers and changes the subject. So far I managed to find out that we have
Cisco CallManager and I think a KirK Voip card/cards(whatever all this
means).
If he would cooperate I am sure I could figure out what the setup was and
then try to get some documentation but that not being the case could
somebody take a guess what the setup is?
Also if it was possible if there are other sources/newsgroups that would be
more suitable places to ask this question, please point me to them.

Toby

"cristi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ca79rj$k6d$(E-Mail Removed)...

> I have tried getting some more details about the server from the IT

Manager
> but his knowledge seems to be very limited regarding the system in place

Its the title Manager that makes it impossible for him to know what's going
on at a technical level. They do need a degree in babble though to pass the
interview and get the job.

If he had a title of IT Administrator I would have more faith.

Sorry I don't have an answer for you. All I know is that Call manager is a
software application that sits on A Windows 2000 box and assists the voice
call setup, route calls using Route filters, Number translation, Call baring
etc. Access to this software is usually (if not always) via a web browser
and would be behind a firewall for administration.

Don't flame me here, this is my excperience and not a dig at any good
managers that I haven't met/heard of.

Toby

cristi

He also administers the network. The company never purchases anything
without hefty support. So bassically they spend their time bringing people
in to fix things.
This is the same manager who "as far as I know AMD does not do chips for
servers", who has a hazy idea as to what NAT does("I think my ADSL router
at home has that"), never heard of SSH, who "I do not believe there is a
way for you to connect to that internet machine if you are on a dynamic ip"
etc.

He only started 4 months ago and it was the previous manager who setup the
infrastructure. I can feel compassion for that but his lack of interest
plus his attitude - "if I dont know anything about it it must be ****"
really irritates me when I try to get things done.
When I asked him what they used for their VoIP so that I could get
documentation in order to interface with it, he said that it was a v
special piece of software and that it was called "something like KirK" and
did not miss the opportunity to roll his eyes when I asked him for more
details in order to get the job done.

Toby wrote:

> "cristi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ca79rj$k6d$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> I have tried getting some more details about the server from the IT

> Manager
>> but his knowledge seems to be very limited regarding the system in place

> Its the title Manager that makes it impossible for him to know what's
> going on at a technical level. They do need a degree in babble though to
> pass the interview and get the job.
>
> If he had a title of IT Administrator I would have more faith.
>
> Sorry I don't have an answer for you. All I know is that Call manager is a
> software application that sits on A Windows 2000 box and assists the voice
> call setup, route calls using Route filters, Number translation, Call
> baring etc. Access to this software is usually (if not always) via a web
> browser and would be behind a firewall for administration.
>
> Don't flame me here, this is my excperience and not a dig at any good
> managers that I haven't met/heard of.
>
> Toby

Toby

Yeah know where your comming from.

Senior and middle managers nowaday wan't yes men under them as it gives them
a sense of power. People of power are only interested in more power and
money so they look down on the ones below them and run in blind ignorance.
They state customer satisfaction to the workforce who already live in the
real world and know the value of their customers and wan't job satisfaction
not power (although money doesn't harm). We also know that a successful
company is our future (no big payoffs) and customer satisfaction is key
again to achieving this.

Maybe a manacger doesn't need to know how things work in a great technical
detail. But they should know what they do and what they achieve, both pro's
and con's or how else are they to make decisions apart from doing 1-1's
which they use to impose even more power with "I am your superior". There's
also no problem with paying outside Companies or individuals with CCNP/CCIE
ratings to help design a network (or other types if using an alternate
manufacturers equipment). But should have at least an Administrator who
understands the design, with the ability to cope with common problems.

The pay packet you recieve from a company/institution should reflect what
you can achieve for that company but doesn't make you a superior being if
you earn more. But I'm afraid the managers think it does make them
superior. Just look how many drive expensive high powered cars and cut you
up along with other dangerous road behavior thinking they own the road (at
least in the UK it's like this) And they have the audasity to think there
clever!! The truth is we are born from a egg/sperm and all end up the same
way and are forgotton about over the generations apart from on a family tree
perhaps (just a name in time if were lucky). But the real truth is that
anyone of us could learn to do a managers job if we had the inclination
which I have not, but Only some of them could become proficient at ours.

Sorry I don't mean to take over your thread, I have had a drink tonight, a
rare opertunity and will get off my soap box so you can get the answers you
require.

Toby

"cristi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ca7klr$3it$(E-Mail Removed)...
> He also administers the network. The company never purchases anything
> without hefty support. So bassically they spend their time bringing people
> in to fix things.
> This is the same manager who "as far as I know AMD does not do chips for
> servers", who has a hazy idea as to what NAT does("I think my ADSL router
> at home has that"), never heard of SSH, who "I do not believe there is a
> way for you to connect to that internet machine if you are on a dynamic

ip"
> etc.
>
> He only started 4 months ago and it was the previous manager who setup the
> infrastructure. I can feel compassion for that but his lack of interest
> plus his attitude - "if I dont know anything about it it must be ****"
> really irritates me when I try to get things done.
> When I asked him what they used for their VoIP so that I could get
> documentation in order to interface with it, he said that it was a v
> special piece of software and that it was called "something like KirK" and
> did not miss the opportunity to roll his eyes when I asked him for more
> details in order to get the job done.
>
> Toby wrote:
>

> > "cristi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:ca79rj$k6d$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> >> I have tried getting some more details about the server from the IT

> > Manager
> >> but his knowledge seems to be very limited regarding the system in

place

> > Its the title Manager that makes it impossible for him to know what's
> > going on at a technical level. They do need a degree in babble though to
> > pass the interview and get the job.
> >
> > If he had a title of IT Administrator I would have more faith.
> >
> > Sorry I don't have an answer for you. All I know is that Call manager is

> > software application that sits on A Windows 2000 box and assists the

voice
> > call setup, route calls using Route filters, Number translation, Call
> > baring etc. Access to this software is usually (if not always) via a web
> > browser and would be behind a firewall for administration.
> >
> > Don't flame me here, this is my excperience and not a dig at any good
> > managers that I haven't met/heard of.
> >
> > Toby

Majortom

Hi Cristi,

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "telephone numbers active." Do you mean numbers that are connected in active calls? Or do you mean directory numbers that have been configured in CallManager? As far as a 'contacts' list, there are a few options. CallManager has a global user directory that can be accessed by pressing the Directories button on a Cisco 7940/60/70 IP phone. That'll only work if the admin has configured users for every directory number and kept the directory up to date. Another option is the Bulk Administration Tool (BAT). You can use it to query the CallManager database and output a CSV file. I'm not sure if BAT is installed by default or if it's an extra option...if it is installed, I think the URL is usually http://CallManagerPublisher/bat. You would also need a username and password for BAT and it doesn't sound like the "manager" would tell you what they are. There is probably also a way to query the db using SQL but I couldn't tell you for sure.

I hope that I've been able to help and/or that you get a more competent IT manager. Cisco's website has tons of documentation.

cristi

Let's say that we have 40 IP phones in the office. Whenever somebody new
joins the Man gives them a phone and a new extension and then exports the
list of Names/Numbers to a file and distributes the file to everyone. I
would like to know if there is a way for me to query whatever program
manages the equipment for the nembers/names so we can do away with the
"old" ways.