Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > No acceptable C compiler was found in $PATH

No acceptable C compiler was found in $PATH

banaticus

What does this error message mean? What can I do to fix it?

Here'e the command that I just tried running, and the messages that
I received. I just barely unpacked python.

linux:/Python-2.4 # ./configure
checking MACHDEP... linux2
checking EXTRAPLATDIR...
checking for --without-gcc... no
checking for --with-cxx=<compiler>... no
checking for c++... no
checking for g++... no
checking for gcc... no
checking for CC... no
checking for cxx... no
checking for cc++... no
checking for cl... no
checking for gcc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cl... no
configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
See `config.log' for more details.
linux:/Python-2.4 #

William Allison

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 03:58:20 +0000, banaticus wrote:

> What does this error message mean? What can I do to fix it?
>
> Here'e the command that I just tried running, and the messages that
> I received. I just barely unpacked python.
>
> linux:/Python-2.4 # ./configure
> checking MACHDEP... linux2
> checking EXTRAPLATDIR...
> checking for --without-gcc... no
> checking for --with-cxx=<compiler>... no
> checking for c++... no
> checking for g++... no
> checking for gcc... no
> checking for CC... no
> checking for cxx... no
> checking for cc++... no
> checking for cl... no
> checking for gcc... no
> checking for cc... no
> checking for cc... no
> checking for cl... no
> configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
> See `config.log' for more details.
> linux:/Python-2.4 #

Looks like you don't have gcc installed. You should try "gcc -v" at
the console. If it comes back as "command not found" or something
similar, that's your problem.