Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Driving win32 GUIs with Python

Driving win32 GUIs with Python

Andrew McLean

I have a requirement to drive a Windows GUI program from a Python
Script. The program was originally a DOS program written in Turbo
Pascal, and was recently translated to Delphi. I don't think it exposes
an OLE or other automation interface. I don't have access to the source.

A bit of Googling turned up some blog entries, which look useful:

http://www.brunningonline.net/simon/...es/000652.html

Before ploughing ahead I wanted to check whether any useful Python tools
are available now, which weren't when the articles above were written.

While not Python related, The "AutoIT Windows Spy" I found here:

http://www.hiddensoft.com/AutoIt/

looks like it will be useful.

Any pointers gratefully received.

Regards,

Andrew McLean

Fredrik Lundh

Andrew McLean wrote:

>I have a requirement to drive a Windows GUI program from a Python Script. The program was
>originally a DOS program written in Turbo Pascal, and was recently translated to Delphi. I don't
>think it exposes an OLE or other automation interface. I don't have access to the source.
>
> A bit of Googling turned up some blog entries, which look useful:
>
> http://www.brunningonline.net/simon/...es/000652.html
>
> Before ploughing ahead I wanted to check whether any useful Python tools are available now, which
> weren't when the articles above were written.

watsup is winGuiAuto plus lots of other stuff (focused on testing):

http://www.tizmoi.net/watsup/intro.html

</F>

Andrew McLean

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Fredrik Lundh <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>Andrew McLean wrote:
>
>>I have a requirement to drive a Windows GUI program from a Python
>>Script. The program was originally a DOS program written in Turbo
>>Pascal, and was recently translated to Delphi. I don't think it
>>exposes an OLE or other automation interface. I don't have access to
>>the source.
>>
>> A bit of Googling turned up some blog entries, which look useful:
>>
>> http://www.brunningonline.net/simon/...es/000652.html
>>
>> Before ploughing ahead I wanted to check whether any useful Python
>>tools are available now, which weren't when the articles above were
>>written.

>watsup is winGuiAuto plus lots of other stuff (focused on testing):
>
> http://www.tizmoi.net/watsup/intro.html
>
></F>

Excellent. That look like just the sort of thing I was looking for.

--
Andrew McLean

Re: Python GUIs Dan Python 1 09-21-2005 07:14 PM
Python GUIs Tuvas Python 3 09-21-2005 07:11 PM
Windows GUIs from Python Bob Swerdlow Python 7 01-12-2005 08:09 AM
OO design, Python, and GUIs Christopher Culver Python 3 11-18-2003 11:41 PM
ANN: Guis-1.3 a GTK2 widget server (scriptable in Python & Ruby) Basile STARYNKEVITCH Python 0 09-02-2003 02:42 PM

Advertisments