Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > input record seperator (equivalent of "$|" of perl)

input record seperator (equivalent of "$|" of perl)

Steve Holden

Andrew Dalke wrote:

> Mike Meyer:
>
>>Trivia question: Name the second most powerfull country on earth not
>>using the metric system for everything.

> The UK?
>
> Before going there I thought they were a fully metric country.
> But I saw weather reports in degrees F, distances in yards
> and miles, and of course pints of beer.
>
> Andrew

Plus the builders quite routinely ask suppliers for things like "a meter
of two (inches) by four (inches)". They don;t care that they're getting
the closest metric equivalent, to them a 2 x 4 is still a 2 x 4.

regards
Steve
--
Steve Holden http://www.holdenweb.com/
Holden Web LLC +1 703 861 4237 +1 800 494 3119

JanC

Jeff Shannon schreef:

> John Machin wrote:
>
>>Subtle distinction: A metER is a measuring device. A MetRE is a unit of
>>distance.

> ... except in the US, where we stubbornly apply the same spelling to
> both of those. (It figures that we Americans just ignore subtle
> distinctions....)

Or there is some Dutch influence...
(In Dutch it's "meter" for both meanings.)

--
JanC

Dennis Lee Bieber

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 23:15:23 GMT, Andrew Dalke
<(E-Mail Removed)> declaimed the following in comp.lang.python:

> Before going there I thought they were a fully metric country.
> But I saw weather reports in degrees F, distances in yards
> and miles, and of course pints of beer.

Yeah, but those pints are bigger than our pints...

Roughly 20 fl.oz. vs 16 fl.oz.

> (E-Mail Removed) | Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber KD6MOG <

Dennis Lee Bieber

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 19:14:54 -0500, Steve Holden <(E-Mail Removed)>

> Plus the builders quite routinely ask suppliers for things like "a meter
> of two (inches) by four (inches)". They don;t care that they're getting
> the closest metric equivalent, to them a 2 x 4 is still a 2 x 4.

And what do they get? A normal finished 2x4 runs about 1.5x3.5
inches...

A 1x4 is 0.75x3.5

> (E-Mail Removed) | Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber KD6MOG <

Alex Martelli

Mike Meyer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Trivia question: Name the second most powerfull country on earth not
> using the metric system for everything.

Well, then, just name the 2nd most powerful country on earth, period
(I'm not going to get myself in trouble by guessing whether said 2nd
country is China, Russia, "Europe" [not a country, I know], ...).

TVs and other displays are sold as "20 inches" (or whatever) everywhere,
printers' resolutions are always given in pixels per inch, etc.

Alex

Steve Holden

Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:

> On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 19:14:54 -0500, Steve Holden <(E-Mail Removed)>
>

>>Plus the builders quite routinely ask suppliers for things like "a meter
>>of two (inches) by four (inches)". They don;t care that they're getting
>>the closest metric equivalent, to them a 2 x 4 is still a 2 x 4.
>>

> And what do they get? A normal finished 2x4 runs about 1.5x3.5
> inches...
>
> A 1x4 is 0.75x3.5

Who knows, but htey don;t complain about it. In the UK also the sizes
refer to the rough cut, before finish planing.

regards
Steve

Record seperator greymaus Python 10 08-28-2011 10:03 AM
ASP.NET 2.0 menu seperator lstuyck73@gmail.com ASP .Net 3 07-16-2008 04:24 PM
Thousand Seperator ewanfisher@gmail.com Python 5 03-14-2008 06:20 PM
Gridview Seperator Bar Based on Data Values xmldig ASP .Net 0 11-30-2005 07:07 PM
Seperator............. grasshopper Firefox 6 01-13-2005 02:46 PM

Advertisments