Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Civilization IV uses Python for scripting

Civilization IV uses Python for scripting

Terry Reedy

According to PCGamer, Jan05, p52:

"*Civilization IV* [Sid Meier's latest, due out next year] has been
designed to fully support the mod community. The game is written using
flexible XML data files and the Python scripting language so modders will
have no trouble at all creating their own personalized worlds, units,
techniques, and historical events. Advanced modders will even be able to
control the AI."

Other commercial games have use Python as an undocumented private scripting
language, but this is the first I know of that will also make it the user
scripting language -- presumably with documentation of the user-usable
functions, classes, and methods.

Terry J. Reedy

Carl Banks

Terry Ready wrote:
> "*Civilization IV* [Sid Meier's latest, due out next year] has been
> designed to fully support the mod community. The game is written

using
> flexible XML data files and the Python scripting language so modders

will
> have no trouble at all creating their own personalized worlds, units,
> techniques, and historical events. Advanced modders will even be able

> control the AI."

Advancement: PYTHON
Requires: Computers, Mythology
Effect:
* Increases revenue generated by capitalization by 300%
* Makes two unhappy citizens happy
* Renders all Wonders of the World in all other countries completely
obsolete
* Boosts production of Research Lab by 150%
* Gives all military units a 200% increase in attack power, 100%
increase in defense, and a tenfold increase in accuracy
* Decreases corruption by 50% in every city.
* Decreases the maintenance costs of the following buildings by 1:
- Airport
- Bank
- Factory
- Harbour
- Hydro Plant
- Mass Transit
- Nuclear Plant
- Power Plant
- SDI Defense
- Stock Exchange
- University
* Scientists' science output increased by 50%
* Entertainers luxury output increased by 50%
* Automatically decreases the morale in every city of all countries
that have PERL advance but not PYTHON by 50%

--
CARL BANKS

Tim Jarman

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
"Carl Banks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Advancement: PYTHON
> Requires: Computers, Mythology
> Effect:
> * Increases revenue generated by capitalization by 300%
> * Makes two unhappy citizens happy
> * Renders all Wonders of the World in all other countries completely
> obsolete
> * Boosts production of Research Lab by 150%
> * Gives all military units a 200% increase in attack power, 100%
> increase in defense, and a tenfold increase in accuracy
> * Decreases corruption by 50% in every city.
> * Decreases the maintenance costs of the following buildings by 1:
> - Airport
> - Bank
> - Factory
> - Harbour
> - Hydro Plant
> - Mass Transit
> - Nuclear Plant
> - Power Plant
> - SDI Defense
> - Stock Exchange
> - University
> * Scientists' science output increased by 50%
> * Entertainers luxury output increased by 50%
> * Automatically decreases the morale in every city of all countries
> that have PERL advance but not PYTHON by 50%

And of course you can build the Google Wonder!

--
Remove luncheon meat to reply.