Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > last use of Port on Catalyst 2950

last use of Port on Catalyst 2950

Tobias

Hello together,

I wanted to find out when port x on a catalyst was used last time!!

any idea?

so long, tobi

PJML

Tobias wrote:
> Hello together,
>
> I wanted to find out when port x on a catalyst was used last time!!
>
> any idea?
>
> so long, tobi

Don't think it can be done - unless you're logging
state-transitions and can work back through the
logs!

Scooby

"PJML" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:40c46157$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Tobias wrote:
> > Hello together,
> >
> > I wanted to find out when port x on a catalyst was used last time!!
> >
> > any idea?
> >
> > so long, tobi

> Don't think it can be done - unless you're logging
> state-transitions and can work back through the
> logs!

Do a show interface and look at last input/output. These are sometimes
different and sometimes one will say "never" while the other will have a
number of days. I've found the last output usually to be the best indicator
since I'm running spanning tree and there is constantly something going out
when the interface is up.

Erik Tamminga

Hi,

If you'd like to do it programmatically(?) you can query the following snmp
oid: .1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.9.ifIndex (ifLastChange).
According to its documentation:

"The value of sysUpTime at the time the interface entered
its current operational state. If the current state was
entered prior to the last re-initialization of the local
network management subsystem, then this object contains a
zero value."

So the time of its last state-change is: Now - sysUpTime + ifLastChange

Erik

"Tobias" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ca1muq$if5$02$(E-Mail Removed)-online.com...
> Hello together,
>
> I wanted to find out when port x on a catalyst was used last time!!
>
> any idea?
>
> so long, tobi

Walter Roberson

In article <ca2gch$cq2$(E-Mail Removed)1.nb.home.nl>,
Erik Tamminga <(E-Mail Removed)> top-posted:
:"Tobias" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
:news:ca1muq$if5$02$(E-Mail Removed)-online.com...
:> I wanted to find out when port x on a catalyst was used last time!!

:If you'd like to do it programmatically(?) you can query the following snmp
id: .1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.9.ifIndex (ifLastChange).
:According to its documentation:

:"The value of sysUpTime at the time the interface entered
:its current operational state.

In other words, it tells you when the interface last went up or down.
That doesn't tell you when the interface was last *used*. If someone
has had a computer sitting connected but unused for 2 years, then the
ifLastChange is going to show 2 years ago. But then again if someone has
had a computer sitting connected and actively used for that entire 2 years,
then the ifLastChange is still going to show 2 years ago.

There isn't any way I can think of on the 2950 to find out when the last
I/O on an interface was.
--
And the wind keeps blowing the angel / Backwards into the future /
And this wind, this wind / Is called / Progress.

Erik Tamminga

Well, that's true but it depends on what the OP means with "last used". If
he's trying to find out what cable/patches he can disconnect in order to
save some ports (how often does it happen that you patch something which
isn't being used anymore). Then the information about which ports went down
how many hours/days ago is relevant and can be found using the information I
specified.
My idear is that if a port is connected (link-up) it's in use and should not
be disconnected.

Erik

news:ca2p0s$9em$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <ca2gch$cq2$(E-Mail Removed)1.nb.home.nl>,
> Erik Tamminga <(E-Mail Removed)> top-posted:
> :"Tobias" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> :news:ca1muq$if5$02$(E-Mail Removed)-online.com...
> :> I wanted to find out when port x on a catalyst was used last time!!
>
> :If you'd like to do it programmatically(?) you can query the following

snmp
> id: .1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.9.ifIndex (ifLastChange).
> :According to its documentation:
>
> :"The value of sysUpTime at the time the interface entered
> :its current operational state.
>
> In other words, it tells you when the interface last went up or down.
> That doesn't tell you when the interface was last *used*. If someone
> has had a computer sitting connected but unused for 2 years, then the
> ifLastChange is going to show 2 years ago. But then again if someone has
> had a computer sitting connected and actively used for that entire 2

years,
> then the ifLastChange is still going to show 2 years ago.
>
> There isn't any way I can think of on the 2950 to find out when the last
> I/O on an interface was.
> --
> And the wind keeps blowing the angel / Backwards into the future /
> And this wind, this wind / Is called / Progress.
> -- Laurie Anderson

Steve

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 14:24:21 +0200, "Tobias" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hello together,
>
>I wanted to find out when port x on a catalyst was used last time!!
>
>any idea?
>
>so long, tobi

Hi Tobi,

What is it that you want to do? I developed a Web-based thing using
SNMP, PHP, Apache and MySQL which accepts SNMP LinkUp/Down traps from
switches and updates a MySQL database with last used date & time stamp
for each port reported. There's a Web-based front end that allows you
to see the last used dates for each port on each switch, and you can
specifiy a maximum period of disuse prior to flagging the port as in
need of unpatching (for housekeeping).

Let me know if you want a copy (but please be aware that it's provided
"as is" without warranty, and you'll need to be able to get Apache up
and running with PHP, which in turn needs to be configured with MySQL
support and SNMP support. You'll also need an SNMP trap-receiver
configured - I use Net-SNMP, and you'll need to set up MySQL)

Let me know, though

Steve

Steve

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 19:08:50 +0200, "Erik Tamminga"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Well, that's true but it depends on what the OP means with "last used". If
>he's trying to find out what cable/patches he can disconnect in order to
>save some ports (how often does it happen that you patch something which
>isn't being used anymore). Then the information about which ports went down
>how many hours/days ago is relevant and can be found using the information I
>specified.
>My idear is that if a port is connected (link-up) it's in use and should not
>be disconnected.
>
>Erik

<BIG SNIP>

But if the port is not connected (and hasn't been for 2 weeks), does
that mean that it should be disconnected, or does it mean that the
owner is on holiday and comes back tomorrow? If it's not been used in
a month, is it because it's in a meeting room, or a casual, drop-in
area?

Steve

Erik Tamminga

> But if the port is not connected (and hasn't been for 2 weeks), does
> that mean that it should be disconnected, or does it mean that the
> owner is on holiday and comes back tomorrow? If it's not been used in
> a month, is it because it's in a meeting room, or a casual, drop-in
> area?
>
> Steve

Well, that's up to the OP.

Erik