Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: How is Python designed?

Re: How is Python designed?

Limin Fu

It seems that we focused on different things. I was
talking about the example I have given for arithmetic
evaluation. And you focused the AST-based evaluation,
which, I belive, is different from my example. I also
agree that they called the functions for the same
number of times, the difference is how they are
called.

Resursive function is a function called itself. Am I
wrong?

I'm sure the code in my example is recursive. As I
have said, you may show those codes I gave as example
to somebody know C++ well to check if it is recursive.

Best regards,

Limin

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Diez B. Roggisch

> I'm sure the code in my example is recursive. As I
> have said, you may show those codes I gave as example
> to somebody know C++ well to check if it is recursive.

I just had second thoughts about tree-traversal beeing recursive - and I
have to admit that I'm not entirely sure if I can hold up the statement
that it's not recursive. It might be counted as that, as the strategy of
traversing a tree certainly is of a recursive nature, as its styled
somewhat like this:

def treewalk(node):
for child in node.childs:
treewalk(child)
node.do_something()

So maybe you're right in claiming it beeing recursive. But then,
depth-traversal is recursive, too.

Now apart from that, I still fail to see where your method of evaluation has
any speed gains.

--
Regards,

Diez B. Roggisch

Diez B. Roggisch

> agree that they called the functions for the same
> number of times, the difference is how they are
> called.

What do you mean by difference in calling - a call is a call, no?
--
Regards,

Diez B. Roggisch